ADVERTISEMENT

Need to win 1 of 2 East Coast Games

Made lots of plans to get myself and 3 other Illini fans to each of the next 2 games. Unfortunately I am on a nasty 10-game in-person losing streak dating back to 2013.

3/15/13 vs Indiana (BTT)
3/12/15 vs Michigan (BTT)
3/3/16 @Maryland
3/6/16 @Penn State
12/27/16 @Maryland
3/9/17 vs Michigan (BTT)
3/7/19 vs Indiana
12/7/19 @Maryland
1/21/22 @Maryland
3/11/22 vs Indiana (BTT)

All of these games have been double-digit blowout losses or one-possession/OT heartbreakers — every one of them agonizing and demoralizing. I can’t imagine that we’ve even covered more than twice.

This year’s team is better than the team we fielded on any of those dates so it’s time for this streak to end.

Maryland is very good but locally there is little buzz and I don’t think the Friday night crowd in December will be that great. They are due for a loss.

Texas is #1 in KenPom but that’s another team that hasn’t faced any real adversity yet. They have a big home game against Creighton and they might not be as pumped to face Illinois in NYC.

I think we have the psychological edge in both matchups and if we’re over the flu bug by Friday we could be very dangerous.

So let’s win one (or two!) for me.

Looking ahead

Our next game is another Big Ten game, home vs. Penn State. Penn State can really shoot the 3 but otherwise we're going to be favored by about 8.

After that we close out the non-conference with two cupcakes and Missouri. Missouri is good enough to be a threat but we will be substantial favorites. We'll get a better read on them after their home game against Kansas.

We get a little bit of a bye around New Year's weekend. Will be interesting to see if that's a chance to get Luke Goode back for conference season or if he'll need a few more weeks. MLK Day game @Minnesota wouldn't be the worst time to insert him either.

Our game @NW is over winter break so it's easy to imagine an orange takeover of their arena. On paper right now that's the only game we're not favored by 5+ until a big matchup with Indiana at home on January 19th. I assume Krush will be back in full force by then. I think there is tons of opportunity in the schedule between now and the end of January. Lots of chances for us to cut down on turnovers, get Clark and Rogers going, and get Goode back in the lineup. This will be a real chance to see what kind of competitors we have when we're slight favorites and will be the hunted every game with teams that could knock us off. Will we show up consistently every game and win the games we should win on paper? I'm optimistic but we haven't really been in that situation yet with this group.

In theory, this team should be playing its best basketball in February and March. Well, that's when all our remaining tough road games are. We'll be favored in every home game (don't play Purdue at SFC this year.) so let's look at the road schedule, dates, and KenPom ranks of opponents.

Jan 4 @NW (#63) - will it be a road game or will we take over?
Jan 10 @Nebraska (#71) - will Nebraska fans give up on this team by then?
Jan 16 @Minnesota (#150) - Minnesota is awful
Jan 28 @Wisconsin (#39) - circle this one on your calendar, but we will have already seen them at home which should help
Feb 4 @Iowa (#22) - as of right now, this is the next game where we'll be an underdog in Vegas and it's not until February (13 games between now and then)
Feb 14 @Penn State (#36) - do their fans show up on Valentine's Day?
Feb 18 @Indiana (#10) - I know their fans will show up. This will be a battle royale. Early game on a Saturday and this will be incredibly tough to win.
Feb 26 @Ohio State (#20) - Neither team has much home court advantage in this series. tOSU would be a contender but their conference SOS is ridiculously hard.
Mar 5 @Purdue (#5) - This could be for all the marbles. Does Edey wear down by the end of the season? This will be a great prep for postseason play.

15-5 in conference seems like a very reasonable prediction as of this moment. KenPom has us 13-7. Purdue, Indiana, and Maryland look like the other Big Ten Championship contenders on paper. Wisconsin always seems to hang around in the standings so they are a dark horse. Purdue is the obvious favorite right now but they rely so much on Zach Edey. How many minutes can a guy really play at 7'4" 290?

Other than the start time of the @Indiana game, there's nothing about this schedule that I dislike. You always have to play the games and there will be surprises but I'm going to enjoy the ride with this team. The rest of the season looks like it will be a ton of fun.

Bowl game chatter...

A couple of things I heard.

Ohio State is flexing its muscles to try to go to the Orange Bowl instead of the Rose Bowl if Michigan beats Purdue. There's apparently a clause in the Rose Bowl bylaws that would allow that to happen. Penn State would then go to the Rose Bowl, and Tennessee would be bumped out of the Orange Bowl.

There's a chance that a Big Ten team in the Orange Bowl will mean the ReliaQuest Bowl will go with its ACC vs. SEC tie-in instead of ACC vs. Big Ten.

That would probably send Illinois to Nashville for the Music City Bowl or New York for the Pinstripe Bowl.

As it stands now, most bowl projections have Illinois going to Tampa.
Reactions: studwell57

Rivals transfer portal coverage..

The transfer portal officially opens Monday and it's already been incredibly busy. We have you covered. Rivals has all the latest news on the biggest transfers, we're now ranking every entry into the portal and we also have a message board to talk about everything portal-related.

Please use these resources to find all the breaking news and everything else when it comes to the portal:

Site: https://portal.rivals.com/

Transfer Tracker & Ranking: https://n.rivals.com/transfer_tracker/2023

Message board: https://forums.rivals.com/forums/football-transfer-portal.46/

And please follow us on social for all the breaking news: @RivalsPortal
Reactions: bucshon
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT