ADVERTISEMENT

Off topic Whitman takes over as NCAA DI Council Chair

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
CHAMPAIGN, Ill.– University of Illinois Director of Athletics Josh Whitman is the new chair of the NCAA Division I Council.

Whitman, who became the Big Ten's representative on the Council in July 2023, was elected to the chair position during the Council's April meeting. With outgoing chair Lynda Tealer recently accepting a position with the NCAA, Whitman has already stepped into his new responsibilities, which he will hold until June 30, 2026.

The Division I Council is a representative group of 40 athletics directors, senior woman administrators, faculty athletics representatives, conference commissioners, and student-athletes charged with providing day-to-day decision-making and leadership for Division I athletics.

As Council chair, Whitman also becomes a voting member of the NCAA Division I Board of Directors, comprised primarily of presidents and chancellors from Division I institutions, and an ex officio member of the NCAA Board of Governors, the highest governing body of the NCAA.

"I am honored to represent the University of Illinois and the Big Ten Conference in this important role during such a transformative period in college athletics," Whitman said. "I feel fortunate to be working alongside such talented colleagues at the campus, conference, and national levels while we work collaboratively to reshape elements of Division I. I look forward to embracing the challenges and changes ahead for the betterment of our student-athletes, institutions, and all those connected to college sports."

"Josh Whitman is a careful, thoughtful leader who also fully understands the need to move quickly and boldly forward when once-in-a-generation opportunities present themselves," University of Illinois Chancellor Robert Jones said. "This is exactly who we need leading the DI Council at this critical moment in college athletics."

"Josh Whitman is highly regarded across the country for the valuable industry leadership he has provided throughout his career," Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti said. "I am happy to learn he will serve as the new chair of the NCAA Division I Council and know he will do a great job on behalf of all Division I student-athletes."

Reactions: kingmyk2629
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News