ADVERTISEMENT

The Magic in Madison is No More and Other CFB Thoughts

dtrain79

Gold Member
Jul 13, 2006
Around the CFB World.

1. Let's start in Badgerland. From about 1993 to 2018 (I'm just going with 25 years), Wisconsin was a veritable football power. They won Rose Bowls, they beat Michigan and Ohio State, they owned Iowa for long stretches, I can still remember a win over LSU that very much vexes me, and so on. And it still doesn't make any sense other than to say (a) the extreme power running game was so different than most other offenses it was hard to prepare for and (b) they juiced the hell out of their roster (I absolutely believe this). Any which way, it's over. It's over in basketball too, tho that is less surprising. Wisconsin isn't a bad program in either sport, but they are completely off the national radar now. The magic in Madison is over.

2. Illinois is so much better when it tries to go a little more up tempo, throws the ball (our WRs are good, as is our QB), and focuses the running game off tackle. If you were CMU, would you have anything in the first half go different except for the late long FG? CMU wanted a slow it down, low play count, in the box football game. They got it for a half. Thankfully Lunney adjusted, put up an easy 7 the first drive of the second and 3 points that easily should have been 7 on the second drive of the half. The game never got closer than 14 thereafter.

3. Nebraska is better than IL, but I'd rather be the first quality D their frosh QB sees than one later in the B1G season. Will be a high pressure game for the. For us, the first road game, which can be rocky at times.

4. Purdue had a nice first game, and apparently was a very popular bet today based on the spread dropping 3-4 points in the last 24 hours. YIKES!!! I went from worried that was going to be a sneaky tough game to thinking it might be our easiest game left. And I am not impressed with any of MN, Rutgers, and NW (who isn't exactly blowing the doors of EIU tonight).

5. There are lots of problems at Michigan. Moore may well be the biggest one, but man it appears Harbaugh knew a huge talent drop cometh. They are really not good at QB, but it's not just QB over there. Arkansas State is likely a bad football team too (close wins over Central Arkansas and a terrible Tulsa).

6. It sure seems like there are 4 B1G teams playing for something and the rest is a pile of meh. tOSU, Oregon, USC, and PSU are all playoff contenders. Fifth place is wide open.

7. It's one half, but Georgia won its two national titles because of Todd Monken. They may be the most talented team a 4th straight year, but they no longer have an elite play caller. And the SEC is quite good, they are at least contemplating 5 in the playoffs (may still be tough, but it's possible).

8. What's the matter at Kansas? They somehow pulled off a second straight loss where by all rights they probably should have won. UNLV is not bad, but at least Illinois took the game from KU late, dominating the last 20 minutes. UNLV just accepted the present like a happy kid at Christmas.

9. In theory, I like the new clock rules this year. But seriously, we are getting to the point where these games have too few plays. Maybe knock 5 seconds off the play clock? The game won't slow much, but you'd have more plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.