ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on the starting lineup...

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
With practice underway, there are some wide open battles to crack the starting lineup. I talked to a bunch of different people at Big Ten Media Days and got some thoughts on lineups.

I think the backcourt starters are pretty locked in. It's going to be Kylan Boswell and Kasparas Jakucionis, with Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn off the bench and Louisville transfer Tre White playing some guard. Most think of Boswell as a point guard, but KJ has been their best passer / playmaker. Those two are interchangeable, and Boswell can play off the ball.

Some have written off Ty Rodgers as a starter, but he started every game last year and the staff sees him as the leader of the team and the bridge to the newcomers. Right now, I see him starting at the 3 when the season opens. Freshman Will Riley is their best pure scorer at the 3.

There will be a battle to start in the front court. They love Ben Humrichous as a spot up 4 and 3-point shooter, and he's also shown some ability to put it on the floor. Morez Johnson can play the 4 or the 5 and he's their most aggressive front court player on the glass. He's still a bit raw offensively but is improving, and is somewhat foul prone right now. Carey Booth is a unique combination of length and athleticism, though he still needs strength / bulk. Tomislav Isivic is the most complete 5 and he's a legit 7-foot-1. Do you practice like he's going to be eligible when the season starts, or not count on it?

If Underwood only goes 9 deep, who is the odd man out? He basically only went 8 deep last year.

My best guess right now, assuming Isivic is good to go...

G Kylan Boswell
G Kasparas Jakucionis
F Ty Rodgers
F Ben Humrichous
C Tomislav Isivic

Bench:

Morez Johnson
Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn
Will Riley
Carey Booth
Tre White

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.