ADVERTISEMENT

Some initial thoughts on the loss to Penn State

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
* First, I think James Franklin is too married to his quirky (and supposedly creative) offense. Penn State play-calling kept Illinois in the game at times. They could bulldoze Illinois with the running game, but often got too cute. Why are they playing two quarterbacks? Seems like it's just to be different. With the way they have recruited, Penn State should be better. They are good, but not as good as they are on paper.

* We saw what happens when Illinois 1. can't run the ball consistently and 2. are in obvious passing situations. The interior of the offensive line isn't athletic enough (recruiting issue) to handle high level defensive linemen like Penn State recruits or pick up blitzes. They didn't just get beat physically either. They botched several pass pro schemes and left guys unblocked. Snaps for Hunter Whitenack and Kevin Wigenton at guard. Will there be a change in the staring lineup? Altmyer was a sitting duck on passing downs. Bret Bielema commented in the post game that Luke has to get rid of the ball quicker, but I'm not buying it.

* I'm starting to not like the running back by committee approach To me, it should be Mr. Inside Kaden Feagin and Mr. Outside Cal'il Valentine. That's it. McCray has his moments and is a good pass blocker, but he just doesn't have enough acceleration. He's pretty good on screens, though. Just has a knack for them. Laughery should be a slot receiver, IMO. He's not a natural runner. He's going nowhere on inside handoffs. Just not physical enough, and not very good vision. If he had the instincts to jump cut and bounce runs outside, it might be different.

* Dylan Rosiek and Ryan Meed both played middle linebacker, and were not in the same league as Nicholas Singleton. Mismatch. They are try-hard types and team players. I appreciate that. But not enough speed and quickness. That stats are misleading. The pair combined for 13 tackles, but they were often 6-8 yards downfield. For some reason, Illinois hasn't targeted linebackers with more length and range on the recruiting trail. Short guys who can't run. I would probably play James Kreutz more. In this 3-4 and often 3-3-5 scheme, linebackers have to be able to run and make plays in space.

* The Illini secondary keeps them in games. They're very aggressive in coverage without being handsy, which is hard to do. And all of them are solid, wrap-up tacklers. DB coach Corey Parker marches to the beat of his own drummer but he has had a very positive impact. Matthew Bailey 9 tackles. Miles Scott 7 tackles including 6 solo tackles.

* I didn't think Illinois had a chance in this game if they weren't at last +2 in turnover margin. They were instead -2 (Essentially -1. The last fumble by Almyer didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game).

* There are four games left on the schedule in which Illinois should be favored (Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan State, and Northwestern), two in which they will be underdogs (Oregon, Michigan) and one toss up (Rutgers). I think Rutgers will fall off. I see them losing to Nebraska, Wisconsin, and USC.

* Good time for the bye week. Lick your wounds, re-group, then go curb stomp Purdue and Ryan Walters. (Will he last the season?).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.