ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Bread Making

AzIllini

Gold Member
Apr 27, 2003
Apparently this is a thing during the shutdown. As a result (since I'm a shameless follower) I just put a no knead loaf in the oven. You can use can use AP flour or preferably bread flour but it turns out great either way and even I can do it. Here is a link to a site that has a lot of videos. Summary: mix flour, yeast, salt and water the night before in a bowl and let it rise/proof on the counter. In the morning dig out your dutch oven and preheat it to 450 degrees in the oven. Form the dough into a nice ball and put into the heated dutch oven and then into the oven -- no kneading, no stand mixer. Baked covered for 30 minutes, uncover, and then finish for 5-15 minutes depending on how brown you want your loaf. There are endless variations and you can do other shapes like baguettes, batards or use a loaf pan to make sandwich bread.

I went to 3 stores yesterday and bread flour was sold out in all three. However I did find AP flour. I didn't have to look for yeast but I expect that also is in short supply.

So, particularly for all of you in Michigan that can't buy paint or garden supplies, here is something you can do; just don't try to take a loaf over to your neighbors. The governor is watching.

http://nokneadbreadcentral.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News