ADVERTISEMENT

OT: An idea for a mascot other than a Kingfisher

ChiTownChief

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2001
A competing sports forum site was having some fun by redesigning college football helmets with Marvel characters incorporated into the logos. For example, Howard the Duck was incorporated into the Oregon Ducks logo. The Fighting Irish were the Fighting Thanos. Michigan took on the Marvel persona of Wolverine. The Duke Blue Devils became the Duke Dare Devils.

I would love to share the link but I am afraid it would violate the rules of this board.

I showed this to my girlfriend's son who knows everything there is to know about Marvel. I asked him to see if he could pair a Marvel character will the Illini as they did not have one in their list.

He came up with GHOSTRIDER.

I still don't want any type of mascot and especially not a kingfisher or otter. But if we have to have one, why not a "Ghost Rider" type mascot. A reference to the Galloping Ghost. The character is orange like fire and there is blue at the base of a flame. And my girlfriend's son did mention that there are plenty of people who love riding motorcycles across the Illinois prairie roads.

Yes it is a stretch. But no more than the ridiculous stretches that kingfisher and otter supporters are and were making.

You can still keep Fighting Illini as the name. But have a fiery ghost like character. And modify the design and spelling of the character so I doesn't infringe on copyrights or trademarks.

Still, no mascot for me. Block I is fine. But if people are hell bent on having one? But I am sure even this idea will offend someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbbs6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News