ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Howard, Illini Thoughts, and the Season Writ Large

dtrain79

Gold Member
Jul 13, 2006
Over the summer, when Michigan hired Juwan Howard, I was a clear naysayer on the hire. There's obviously no easy replacement for a guy as high quality as John Beilein, but giving the Michigan job to an alum whose never been a HC strikes me as rather dubious. And this wasn't even Patrick Ewing, who legitimately toiled a lengthy period as an assistant.

Last night, Illinois beat Michigan for the first time in awhile. We may not beat them again later this season, but it won't be our last win over Howard. In fact, here's guessing we beat him more than we lose to him.

Moving on to IL specifically, we are 0-2 in highly competitive outcomes, losing to both Miami (deserved) and Maryland (gut punch). Not having watched, I can't comment too much on the games. Obviously, a 1-1 split in those two would have Illinois fans feeling really good about the year (personally, I'd prefer the Maryland home win, just because it will likely have the most value later on).

On a separate note, even the experts acknowledging that college basketball is not very good this year. Where have they been the past 5 years, even 10?

One a final personal note, Wisconsin and Kansas State sucking is real nice to see. Hopefully I'm confident saying the same about Mizzou in 10 days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News