ADVERTISEMENT

Give Whitman his due, he has earned it

SunDiegoIllini

May 2, 2005
I believe that Illinois is in the early stages of finally being a sustainably winning program in Hoops and now Football. You have to attribute that success to Josh Whitman.

He took his licks early with the Lovie Smith debocle (I thought Lovie was an impressive hire initially, but he obviously showed his lack of interest in working and winning early). Whitman cut his losses on Lovie and made the astute but surprising hire of Bielema, much to shagrin of most Illini fans (myself included). Bielema is ahead of schedule in recruiting and reviving Illinios previously tired brand of football.

Whitman seized an opportunity to snatch Underwood, who is proving to be a very good coach and program builder. Whitman also is the first AD to have to navigate the NIL with a critically important athlete, and he beat the odds to successfully retain an All-American against Blue-Blood competition.

This could be interpretted to be a kool-aid flavored post, but I for one am feeling the best about the direction of our athletic programs main sports since I attended UofI back in the late 80's. I-L-L

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News