ADVERTISEMENT

Friday notes from Indy AAU events

Jeff Karzen

Gold Member
Jan 25, 2007
Chicago
I saw Reggie Bass at the Prep Hoops 2K event in downtown Indy, and then popped over to see several games at the UAA Finals. Here are a few quick notes from the day:

— Illinois seems to have gained ground in the last month with Braden Huff. When they offered, I thought it was too late but now believe they have a real chance. When asked which schools are recruiting him hardest, Huff said Illinois first …

— A little more on Huff: he’s a very, very intriguing prospect. At 6-10, he often brings the ball up the court and he’s an excellent passer. In the Wolves game I saw today, Huff made a great pass underneath to an open teammate who missed the layup. Huff snared the rebound in a ton of traffic and went back up for the bucket. This kid can play.

— Jaden Schutt apparently went off earlier in the day with six 3s against Team Breakdown. In the Wolves’ second game, which I was at, Schutt was good but he didn’t go on a huge heater. We’ll see if Duke pushes for him, but he is obviously an outstanding prospect. Per usual, Illinois (Tyler Underwood), MSU and Iowa were in attendance. If I had to guess, I think Schutt will pick one of those Big Ten schools.

— Reggie Bass looked good this afternoon, scoring more than 20 points and getting into the lane vs defenders, as well as hitting 3s. The rumors are out there that Bass won’t end up at Illinois, but Bass and those close to him say the relationship is fine. Bass says he talks with Brad Underwood multiple times a week. Naturally, other schools are keeping tabs with Maryland, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Providence and others calling to see if Bass wants to look elsewhere. As of right now, he is not.

— Kel’el Ware, the highly ranked 7-footer from Arkansas, reiterated that he’ll visit Illinois this fall. I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one. Arkansas coach Eric Musselman and an assistant we’re posted up under a basket for Ware’s evening game, and I expect him to pick the home state Razorbacks.

— Will get my first in-person look at Jayden Epps tomorrow, when his Team Loaded squad takes on Bass’ Team Teague. Looking forward to that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News