ADVERTISEMENT

Day 6 training camp notes

Erich_Fisher

Jul 31, 2018
Champaign, IL
The Illini were once again out there in full pads for the sixth day of training camp. Schedule was the same as yesterday and days prior: walk-throughs/position drills, 11v11 RPO/option session, 7v7/1v1 O-line vs D-line and then 11v11 and 2 minute offense.

This was an off day for the recuperating players such as RB Mike Epstein, DT Jamal Milan, OL Jordyn Slaughter, WR Edwin Carter and DT Kenyon Jackson. RB RaVon Bonner, SS Sydney Brown and DT Tymir Oliver were still held out of camp with non-serious injuries.

Overall, I believe the offense won today pretty easily over the defense. Looks like the playbook is starting to register more now as the offense looked somewhat balanced for the first time here in camp.

Offense:

This was the best day by far for the QB room. QB Brandon Peters seems to have locked up the starting spot almost as his consistent play and surprising athleticism has separated himself from the rest of the herd. He had his best day by far. He looked completely in control of the offense and ran the 2 minute drill with ease for the most part. He made all the throws he needed to whether it was to pick up short yards on third down, or hit a man down the field for a 15 or 20 yard gain. Impressive day from him.

QB Matt Robinson had his best day of camp too. He ran the offense well during all the 11v11 sessions and made basically every throw he needed to. He flashed off a big arm today when he hit WR Casey Washington down the field for about a 60 yard gain. It was one of his first snaps during the 2 minute drill and the offense easily converted that into a touchdown. I don't believe he threw a pick today, maybe one or two sketchy balls that got tipped around. He scrambled well too. I've been down on Matt a lot this camp, and he told me to shut up today.

QB Isaiah Williams got reps after sitting out yesterday and he looked explosive. I am going to put a disclaimer in here as he was facing the 2nd/3rd team defenses. No TOs from him, only smart decisions and big time throws/runs down the field. During the first 11v11 session, Williams tucked it on a read option and exploded for a 75 yard TD run. He later dropped a dime to RB Dre Brown down the seam for what would've been another 75 yard TD. Williams completed another deep ball in the practice too which wouldn't have been a TD, but was still an impressive ball (sorry memory is foggy on those details). An incredibly encouraging day from him. Still believe this is Peters' job though.

All three quarterbacks were sharp and made this offense look balanced today. Coran Taylor saw little, to no reps today.

RB Reggie Corbin had an okay day. Sometimes Corbin gets happy feet and likes to make certain cuts and cutbacks to try and make a big play, but ends up not working out at all. That's what happened today and Rod was PISSED about it, pulling him several times. Obviously this is just who Corbin is and is part of the reason he exploded last season. I'm just telling you this is what his day looked like today. As I said, Brown scored another big TD on the Williams throw. I also really liked the reps from RB Jakari Norwood today. I've said this before, but I think he's going to see some snaps this season.

If the QBs were sharp, then that means the WRs were catching balls and that was the case. WR Josh Imatorbhebhe had his best day. Him and Peters connected on several balls. He has a good size body and strong hands. He can be a guy that gets you like 5 catches for anywhere between 45-60 yards a game I think which would be HUGE. That's the glass being half full. WR Trevon Sidney had another nice day and Washington beat CB Marquez Beason off the line and made that deep catch from Robinson. They looked like the position group the staff hoped it to be with the new additions.

With the offensive line, pass protection was there for the most part. There were a couple sacks that they didn't blow the whistle on because they wanted to see the play develop down the field, but those usually happened on the 2nd/3rd team reps. Run offense wasn't quite there today, but I think you saw Lovie put a lot into stopping that and forced the offense to throw. Saw 7 guys in the box a lot today, so Lovie dared them to throw the ball and they did.

Defense:

Pass rush is still a major concern of mine. I just don't see a 4-man pass rush set doing anything for you this season. Interior run defense was solid, but there was little containment against the option or runs that were just kicked to the outside. Seth Coleman had another solid day, but was one of edge guys not containing well. He's trying his best to make his case for being a true freshman. Not sure if it'll pan out but he's doing what he can. Moses Okpala had flashes during the 1v1s and 11v11s, and so did Calvin Avery who's performed well the last two days of camp.

LB Dele Harding feasted today against the run game. It seemed like any time a tackle was made on a run play, it was Harding stopping Corbin or Brown right at the line of scrimmage. Think he's going to easily lead the team in tackles this season. We may have mentioned this already, but the depth at LB is looking really solid. Freshman Tarique Barnes looks really solid and very underrated. We've always been high on Khalan Tolson here and that's because the dude is massive, yet fast too. He looks the part and stands out consistently. And then there's Shammond Cooper and when his time comes, you can see him thrive as the MIKE in this defense. His size is perfect and as soon as he puts on muscle, he'll be on the field.

As everyone knows by now, CB Nate Hobbs has been dominating in camp, but quietly, CB Quan Martin has been going stride-for-stride with Hobbs on the other side of the ball. He had numerous PBUs again today and is improving with his man coverage. Boy, safety depth scares me more and more everyday.

And that's it for Day 6 of camp, pass offense showed some life today and all three QBs who saw snaps today performed very well. Will be back out there for tomorrow.

Any questions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News