ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts on the 2021 signing class

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
What's to like:

* Length - All three guys have good length for the 2/3. They're going to be able to guard the 3 and not be a mismatch. Getting shots off over the defense won't be a big issue either, as we've seen with some smaller guys.

* Shooting - Goode is probably the most consistent 3-point shooter, but Podz isn't far behind. Podz is more crafty and can get his own shot off the bounce, step-back's, etc. I think it will take Goode some time. Melendez can shoot it, but he's more of slasher.

* Basketball IQ. All three guys know how to play. Podz is the most crafty with the ball in his hands and can pass it. Goode can find soft spots in the defense and get his shot. Melendez could possibly play a little point forward down the road. They all play with their head up and see the court well.

What's missing:

* Quick-twitch athleticism. As we saw in the NCAA Tournament, you win with guys who can move. The trio Illinois is signing aren't bad athletes and they are natural scorers. Playing defense against high major competition will be a challenge early on, though. Melendez has the highest ceiling. Fletch has to get him working in the weight room. He's never going to be bulky, but he can be wirey-strong. Can Podz and / or Goode guard the 2 at this level?

* Ball handler. Illinois wanted a primary ball handler / combo-guard in this class, especially with Frazier and Miller in limbo. Ty Ty Washington isn't coming, so it will have to be through the portal. Missing on Armaan Franklin was setback. He would have been ideal. Frazier will probably come back, but if he doesn't they really need two guys. How do you recruit guys in the portal when two players may or may not come back? Terrible timing.

* True power forward. I like Coleman Hawkins, but he's more of a face-up guy and jump shooter. Omar Payne can play the 4, but is better suited for the 5. You can't count on BBV playing a lot of minutes, IMO. UMASS transfer Tre Mitchell would be a huge get, difference maker.

Biggest misses:

* Ty Ty Washington is going to be a miss. Illinois could make his top 5, but he's going to a blue blood. If he wanted Illinois, he wouldn't have waited it out as long.

* Armaan Franklin, as previously mentioned. Ball handler, shooter, combo guard. Would have been ideal. I'd rather play at Illinois than play a half-court game at Virginia, but what do I know? Virginia wins consistently.

* Bryce Hopkins. Illinois hade a legit shot when he de-committed from Louisville. Will he play a lot at Kentucky? Not sure. He's really good around the bucket. Very strong and explosive off of two feet. But he'll have to shoot it better.

* Mac Etienne. I thought Mac was a bit overrated but he would have filled a need. 2.6 ppg & 2.8 rpg at UCLA. Illinois led when it was his best option.

* Enoch Boakye. I liked Boakye quite a bit better than Etienne. Really high ceiling, freak athlete, and physically imposing. Illinois was a finalist, then...

* Sam Ayomide Onu. Another athletic big man who ended up at Memphis. Kofi's unsure situation was a deterrent, IMO.

* Nimari Burnett. Not as big of a miss as some think. He can't shoot. But he's long and athletic and will be a good defender. Up-tempo system at Illinois would have good for him. He should be okay at Alabama.

What are your questions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News