ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Illinois still employ athletic director Mike Thomas?

turboja2003

Apr 9, 2005
Let's talk about this...

From Teddy Greenstein, Chicago Tribune

Illinois has become Lawsuit U., protecting a sports program that now generates national headlines only when a current or former athlete alleges abuse.

Casey Conine's lawsuit, filed Monday and seeking at least $50,000 in damages, alleges that the team's coach and trainer violated the school's concussion protocol. Athletic director Mike Thomas was named in the lawsuit in what is the third damning — and damaging — story that alleges misconduct from an Illinois coach in the last month. Yes, the last month.

It begs two questions:
What standards has Thomas established among his coaches for properly treating athletes?
The second question: Why in the world does Illinois still employ Thomas?

Illinois Appellate Judge Terrence J. Lavin, a South Side native and 1977 graduate of Illinois, was among previous donors not writing a check. He told Thomas his next contribution would come after he resigns or is fired, telling the Tribune on Tuesday: "He has done nothing in the interim to make me think I was wrong in my assessment."

Steve Bowsher feels the same. Once a major Illinois donor, the 1972 graduate told the Tribune in 2012 that he would no longer support the school, saying: "I don't think Mike Thomas is capable in any fashion." Bowsher on Tuesday said he has since become a Northwestern donor even though he has no affiliation to the school: "I think these (issues with student-athletes) are symptomatic of his leadership. A guy asked me the other day what it would take to come back (to Illinois). It would take Thomas leaving."

Illinois has announced it will take steps to emphasize the "health and well-being" of its athletes. The university also has hired two Chicago law firms to investigate claims of abuse in its quest to avoid paying out large settlements. Just what we need living in a state that can't pay its bills.

Oh yeah, and the football coach wants to know why the media won't wave pompons rather than ask tough questions.

It's a sorry state of affairs, and one that needs to cost the athletic director his job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News