ADVERTISEMENT

When I Read This Board

dtrain79

Gold Member
Jul 13, 2006
i often wonder how many people watch games outside the B1G where many coaches really mix it up in terms of what they throw at the opposition. (Btw, Urban mixes it up a lot but it's lost in how good his players are).

I think many people on here believe that football coaches hang out on the sideline and generally call comparable games. Guys, that's not reality.

For a perfect example of this, please note how the Pats offense is still a juggernaut without the allegedly greatest QB ever and a guy who really might be the greatest TE ever. That's scheme. Coaching. It's why BB went for it on 4th and 1 from inside his own 30 when he knew his D would never stop Manning even if he had to drive 300 yards (because they wouldn't stop Manning).

What bothers me today is not that Illinois lacks talent (true) but that Garrick McGee's offense plays right into the opposition. Lunt can't sustain drives and yet we are constantly throwing short. We can't run straight up and yet I can't remember a zone run this season (the sweeps and pitches have worked OK at least).

There was the amusing discussions of WRs not getting separation against NC. Welp fellas those WRs were wide open against WMU and we scored 3 points on non trick plays (btw the trick play was the best thing McGee has done in 3 weeks). Because WMU schemed to their strengths, gave up the short stuff, and watched Lunt fold on third down.

What are we scheming to right now? I'm really curious.

Three weeks in, I'm fairly certain the Lovie boost will come when he understands cfb is won by relentless scoring. He's going to recruit better and he's going to coach a competent D. I worry that won't really matter against anyone of substance unless I see a lot more creativity on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News