Votes: 133 77.8%
  • Losing to Northwestern in football

Votes: 38 22.2%

• Total voters

ChiTownChief

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2001
Mizzou in basketball or NW in football?

A question for Illini fans before the Bragging Rights game.

I know many people hate losing to Mizzou in basketball. I have never lived anywhere south of I-72 in Illinois but I can certainly understand those who live or who have lived in the St. Louis metro area who have to endure the pain of the taunts of the delirious Mizzou fans and the biased StL media toward the Tigers. Plus the recent de-commits and transfers of Illini players to that program adds fuel to the fire.

I get why people would hate losing more to Mizzou in basketball than to the NUrds in football. Illinois is a basketball school, so they say. The Braging Rights game is always hyped no matter how bad the teams are. The Land Of Lincoln trophy game has generally not appealed to most people as it is always the last game of the year in usually cold weather and usually one team has nothing to play for other than pride (usually that's us). Also the argument is NW has never been a rival for us since the FB games are never exciting and of our dominance against them in BB.

But since I favor FB over BB (am I the only Illini fan that can claim that?), and since I lived in both the city and the suburbs for many years, I grew tired of arrogance both Fitzee and their fans as well as the Chicago's Big Ten team crap, and the Chicago media love for that school even when they are bad. I also hate that this was a team we could almost always pencil in a W when we looked at schedule and now we are beneath them.

I hate losing to Mizzou. I really do. I went to all 6 football games we played against them in StL and each time I wanted to kick their fans off this planet.

But for me, losing to the NUrds is more painful. A trend that I hope stops soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News