ADVERTISEMENT

Training Camp Day 5

alec.busse

Jun 11, 2020
The team was practicing on the grass fields outside of the Smith Center for the first time this camp. Sounds like they might do it again tomorrow when they put pads on for the first time too.
  • Tight ends:
    • Tight Ends were working short passing patterns the entirety of the time we were able to watch today
    • Daniel Barker has really good footwork off the line of scrimmage, it's kind of like a wide receiver with his release, it's really impressive for a tight end. Barker is the most proven pass catcher on this team and Ben Miller said his blocking earlier this week was getting a lot better, so Barker seems to be adjusting well to the new staff. Barker doesn't get the attention he deserves, in my opinion, and I think he is one of the top-five best offensive players on the roster with Vederian Lowe, Doug Kramer, Chase Brown and Alex Palczewski. Isaiah Williams can work his way into that conversation, but I'd like to see him prove it first.
    • Luke Ford doesn't have as good of footwork off the line of scrimmage and that likely means he won't be running too many routes vertically downfield. Ford could be more of a safety blanket for Peters underneath and on slip routes. Ford struggled with route running last season and that did play a real factor in the limited reps he got in games. He did deserve more of an opportunity than he got with the previous staff, but his footwork does need to improve for him to be an impactful pass-catching tight end.
  • Defensive backs:
    • Doug gave Tony Adams some praise yesterday and I'm going to do it again today. He looks like he's in really good shape. His legs are a lot bigger than they were in the past and his arms look stronger too. If he is able to stay healthy and if he is able to be good in pass coverage he has the ability to be this team's best corner.
    • Eddie Smith looks to have a good early lead on the free safety position. I don't think it's unfair to say that a former Alabama defensive back is good enough to start on this back end of the defense.
  • Outside linebacker:
    • Owen Carney is physically impressive but I have concerns about his ability to drop in pass coverage. He's really big and can be a good pass rusher and good in run coverage but there are reasons to be concerned about him in pass coverage. He's got the ability to play a similar role as Khalil Mack does for the Bears in terms of pass rush.
    • Isaiah Gay has the physical build of someone who can play outside linebacker, but he doesn't look to have all of the technique down just yet. His footwork could improve in pass coverage. I think he rotates more with Seth Coleman and Ezekiel Holmes.
    • Speaking of Coleman, he looks like an OLB and can drop in pass coverage. That's good. Illinois needs an OLB that can do that.
    • Ezekiel Holmes has been impressive to me when watching the OLBs. He's got good footwork and he's good fast. I think he plays more of a rotational role opposite Carney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News