ADVERTISEMENT

The rumor mill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
I thought I would consolidate some of the things that are going on.

Coaches are out on the road recruiting, so I don't look for movement on the coaching positions yet. One rumor pegs a high school coach in Chicago-land as a potential hire for one of the vacancies. Not defensive coordinator, and its not John Holocek.

Miami-Fla. transfer Jeff Thomas wants a waiver to play right away. If he doesn't get it, he may go FCS. Illinois and Mizzou are thought to be the most likely FBS destinations. There are academic hurdles with this kid, so how it ends up is hard to predict. My advice? Don't believe anything unless it comes from Jeff himself. It's that kind of deal.

Luke Ford will be back at Georgia after the break for the Sugar Bowl, then make a decision on whether or not to transfer. Illinois is a potential destination if he does leave Athens, and some Illinois people think he's the Illini's to lose if that's the case. He would have to sit out 2019.

Illinois is far out in front for St. Louis Trinity linebacker Shammond Cooper, IMO. The visit went very well, and his family is bought in. He wants to announce on Jan. 3 at the UA All-American Bowl. Illinois wold like to sign him next week, and that's still a possibility.

Edit: JUCO linebacker Dru Mathis is trending to Baylor, IMO. Still a remote possibility, so never say never. Bugs to work our for Illinois, and I don't think it will happen. Recent offer from UCLA as well. Nebraska is out.

DL Keith Randolph is slated to visit officially this weekend. Odd timing, since Belleville West hoopers play @ East St. Louis on Friday, then in the Midwest Shootout at Webster Groves on Saturday. Illinois presumably needs a good visit to overtake Michigan State.

WR/TE DK Blaylock, who decommitted from Iowa State, will release a list of schools this weekend. Illinois has many irons in the fire and not many open spots, so its not yet clear if they will have room to push for him.

Illinois commit Seth Coleman may visit Utah. You never like to see that this close to signing day. He's been silent since his official visit to Illinois, so we don't have a strong read from him how that visit went.

Illinois should have a read on OL Dominic Moore's academic situation soon, but it probably won't be in time for him to sign in December. If he's a qualifier and they can get him in, Illinois is a virtual lock. Big IF, though.

I look for former Illinois commit Fabian McCray to end up at NIU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News