ADVERTISEMENT

Several observations

impe72

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2001
I know the kneejerk reaction at this point is to can Groce, and I must admit, I've lost considerable faith in the man myself. However, it's still very early in the season and this team has the talent to win if he can sort out where everybody belongs on the floor.

But...

Groce absolutely needs to have this team ready to play ball and handle the press from the time they step on the floor. The Chats provided a blueprint for every Big Ten team on how to beat us tonight. Without a point guard we're in deep shit. However. they did make some adjustments (used Finke to handle the ball and throw over the press) later in the game. My question is why didn't he have the team ready to do this in the first place?

Did Hill touch the ball in the game's first 15 minutes? How you can expect to win without involving your best player is baffling. The offense needs to run through Hill every trip.

Is Black just overanxious or is he really as stupid as he plays? With all the talent the guy possesses, he is useless if he can' stay on the floor.

Why was Groce subbing Morgan in on defense at the end of the game? Slowest feet in basketball.

Thorne looked like the second coming of Egwu tonight (without the defense). He's great when no one guards him, but he really struggles to control/catch the basketball.

Coleman-Lands, Jordan and Finke are all going to be very good players in time. Finke reminds me of that kid from Butler a couple years ago. He shoots, handles, passes and is an ok defender. I know Finke missed a couple threes at the end, but why is it even necessary for a redshirt frosh to be taking threes with the game on the line?

As long as Khalid and Austin are playing significant roles, we will be hurting. Getting Tate and Nunn back should help quite a bit.

As has been stated here many times, Groce needs to make the tourney or he should be gone. He is not the recruiter he was billed to be, and now, apparently, not the X's and O's guy we thought he was. He lost the game twice_ in the first 15 minutes and in the final 5. Ultimately, he needs the team to give him 40 or he won't survive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News