ADVERTISEMENT

Post Mortem

illman

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
As I indicated, before the Akron game, the players came out with an intensity and confidence I had not seen before. I still believe they could have beaten nearly anyone that day. UConn game, they had the look and feel of uncertainty, lack of focus, and some even outwardly disinterested. Like the last 3 years.

I believe the team looked worse overall last week.

So what happened? First, it is the coaches job to get the team ready to go. This has not been done, though It’s been addressed with LS. Emotion matters in college football. These aren’t millionaires doing their job.

Second, the secondary is wiped out. Beason hurt a lot because of the excitement and confidence level he brought to the team. We did what I thought would work. Leave the cb’s on an island and actively pursue the quarterback and/or ball carrier. This was done, and we were burned. One of the reasons I am not a coach. I’m glad we tried it, however.

Third, the lack of a sustained pass rush. That qb was completely comfortable in the pocket, checking down on the receivers 1–2–3–4. Unacceptable.

Fourth, the offensive penalties. We win the game without the penalties. But 9, often at crucial times? This is all on the coaching staff.

Peters was fine, good enough to win. But, he has only been here a matter of weeks. He lacks a rapport with the receivers. many of whom have also been here for a short time.

Fifth, offensive line in pass protection. Way below average. I’m putting this nicely.

Ultimately though, it was the defense that lost this game. They are not kids anymore. Admittedly, the defense has not shown its hand. The plan is to start with some new looks next week. We’ll see.

Not listed here is Miles Smith. We had the cash to lock down a good one. Miles Smith has shown nothing. That is on LS.

Of significant note, there will be a players only meeting tomorrow. It is being downplayed by them, but don’t believe it. That meeting will be a turning point. Either they will buy in, or they will distance themselves from the coaches. The latter is a death sentence. Teams rarely recover once they start down this road. If it is the former, we have a reasonable shot at a bowl.

There is some personal stuff going on with some players. I think we will be losing 2-3 in the next few weeks. Also, it is rumored that a high up donor, I mean 2 or 3,huge, gave an ultimatum to Whitman. Speculation abounds about the content, but safe to say it is not pro Lovie. They want a return on their investment.

Good news? We lost to a team that is 3-0 against conference teams the last 3 years , including beating Saint
Brohm. The West looks like a mess. And if the team responds against Nebraska? Don’t write this team off yet. They lost a game to a decent team in the last seconds of the game. Sucks, but it happens.

The anti Lovie crowd is right on this game. Kudos, boys. And if it continues, I will say so.

As I said repeatedly, people get too high off a victory, and too low after a loss. The truth usually lies somewhere between the two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News