ADVERTISEMENT

OT: thoughts on visiting an iconic college basketball venue

ChiTownChief

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2001
With the Illini game being cancelled yesterday, i decided to visit Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis to watch Butler play DePaul.

Going to see the inside of that venue was on my bucket list and I hope someday that I can see a game at the Palestra in Philadelphia.

One of the walls features a long and large "continuous" picture of teams and players throughout the years. There are also displays of memorabilia in the hall displaying things like trophies, uniforms, game programs, etc.

On another wall, there is a quote form Tony Hinkle that reads, "If only the fieldhouse could talk. The stories it would tell."

I loved the reverberation when the band played and the crowd cheered. Call me old, but I also like that all the "extras" that you find at an Illini game, such as the continuous piped in loud music, the player intros on the jumbotron, were kept to a minimum and the game itself took center billing. I guess I am old school and I all I need to keep entertained at a game is the game itself and the band. I can do without the extra hype.

Growing up in Bloomington-Normal, I attended a few ISU games at the old Horton Field House. It was tightly packed, but that was part of the game experience with fans and students close to the game, loud and enthusiastic. Especially when Bradley, Tulsa, and Wichita State were in town. No need for the loud piped in music or fancy intros. Games at Redbird Arena don't come close to Horton.

While I do understand arenas need to offer modern amenities and the fan's tastes change constantly as far as entertainment value, I do miss the simple times.

EDIT: I hope one day I can see the Illini play Butler at Hinkle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News