ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Thoughts on Baseball season

MKIllini

Gold Member
May 26, 2007
Champaign, IL
** It's been a fun one. Although I'm a Sox fan...and our season has been helter skelter.. I do root for the Cubbies ....and have enjoyed watching their maturation bloom a tad prematurely.

** Some threw in the White Flag on Cubs season in the first week...said they were seeing same ole same ole. Pennants aren't won in April. Typically, you don't even know what you have until July 1st. This season is just getting started. Cubs are legit contender...no one could have predicted that preseason.

**This a Fundamental Cubs team. Theo had a plan and vision. He stuck to his guns. Many could not understand how you can just sacrifice a season or two and build, not try to win. I think we have our answer. You're building a culture, drafting pieces that fit that culture. Cards have been the best example of this. Now you have the Cubs, Royals, Pirates, Astros...all using same model. Those are some of the best teams in Baseball. All primed to have long sustained runs of success.

**In Contrast, Sox have used the mesh mash approach. getting pieces, but no real identity and culture. If pieces don't fit...you have issues. I like some of the young talent...but Sir Kenny has now told us it was a 3 year plan all along. Hmmm... I've grown tired of Kenny's Ego...Hawkisms and the broken approach to fielding a competitive team. All in favor of new leadership..

** Back to Cubs. I love the discipline at the plate. They still strike out at an alarming rate...but they also work deep counts...get opposing pitchers pitch count up high by 5th inning. They grind and make it tough. This was what I remember most about those great Boston teams. They gave no AB's away.. batter after batter...it was a battle. Cards do this very well.

** Some said that Cubs stock piling of young talent was no big deal...all teams do this. My answer was not to the same degree. Cubs had picks...and turned their farm system completely around. They picked up some mid level free agents, flipped them for more young talent. Exploited the international market. Now they have best system in baseball. Still quite a few prospects that have not made big league debuts. Castro will be gone soon...Baez will be in. Picking up guys like Arrieta, Strop... Russel, Hammel, Rondon..etc. A lot of this was very quiet...but it's all coming together. Maybe Theo did have a clue.

** Maddon is working on his 3rd coach of the year award. Some thought he was too cute/smart for his own good. Trying to reinvent the wheel. What he does do is think ahead...usual 2 steps ahead of most. A stats guy... yet he coaches on gut and instinct. Pulling all the right strings. Stays even keel...always a good listen. Love the guy..

**Castro benching was inevitable. Guy has been a knucklehead from day one. Makes the game about Castro...it's all in the body language folks. Doesn't fit current culture of accountability. Contrast him with the unassuming Russell...who is a pro's pro already at age 21.

**Rizzo is an MVP candidate sans Bryce Harper (a lock). We can put to rest the Mark grace comparisons. Rizzo has it all, talent..leadership, humble. A great cornerstone piece.

**As much as I love Bryant. Schwarber has the better stick. His bat has juice. Tighter knowledge of strike zone, a more mature and advanced approach. Would be rookie of the year if brought up sooner.

** Soler might have as much upside of any of the young prospects. Just hasn't quite figured it out. He's a young Vladimir Guerrero. Vicious cut and bat speed.

** Shark is Shark. Have never been a huge fan. Still waiting on him to win 10 games in a season. has played his way out of a huge, huge contract. Has always done enough to lose. Some foolish GM will overpay.

** Cards have best team in Baseball. Fav going into playoffs. As we know..Cards proved this not too long ago. You get in, you get hot, you got a shot.

** Cards fans...feel free to opine. I don't watch much of the Cards but the Hi-lites. I never get how Illinois residents root for a Missouri team. How many Cardinal fans root for the Missouri Tigers? I know that 's a horrible analogy...but that always comes to mind. I love state loyalty. I do respect the great organization they have...great ballpark, passionate fanbase. Just can't root for them.

** I hope I live long enough to see the Cubs get it done. What an epic release that will be. They say you can't root for both Chicago teams. Why? That must be a Chicago thing... I'm from Central Illinois...I've always liked both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News