ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mike Leach

IlliniAZ

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Mike Leach was interviewed live this morning on the Doug and Wolf show (KMVP-FM, Phoenix) as part of their NFL draft coverage. Leach did a masterful job avoiding a substantive answer when asked who was more suited to run the Air Raid offense under Cardinals’ HC Kliff Kingsbury, Kyler Murray or current QB Josh Rosen. He said both would do well under Kingsbury’s tutelage.

My biggest takeaway is Leach’s view of the QB, in general and especially in the Air Raid offense. There are two absolute essentials a QB must possess before he would consider “screwin’ around trying to teach them anything”: passing accuracy and above-average decision-making. If they don’t have both “I’m not interested,” he said.

He also believes it is far more important for a QB to be able to read routes than read coverage.
No earth-shaking revelations to those you who have followed Leach’s career, but I found what he said he said it to be fascinating. He is a self-promoter but he has a lot to promote.

He also said he conducted a seminar recently that included lectures from retired U. S. intelligence and military personnel. The title, “Insurgent Warfare and Football Strategy.” He expected that 75 people would be interested, but claims that nearly 49,000 wanted to sign up for it on his website.

Leach marches to the beat of a different drummer, but always seems to be moving forward.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News