ADVERTISEMENT

OT— not one to typically do this

smjohnsn

May 3, 2005
I’m not one to typically do this, but want to share recent month in case it ever helps anyone.

I’m 41 years old and have been working hard over last 6-7 years to get in better shape. I’m 6’7 and have gone from about 275 6-7 years ago, to 225 at the moment. Starting in November, I went real serious on diet and exercise and dropped 15-20 since then. Was running 3-4 miles almost every night, cut carbs out for few weeks and limited them since. Was probably in best shape since high school. Haven’t ever had blood pressure problems, cholesterol is at high end of normal but been improving, and never been a smoker other than cigars on golf course, which I will stop now.

On 2/15, few hours before Rutgers game, was putting my 3 year old daughter down for a nap, read her a few books, then started feeling “off”. Stood up, and started jumbling words like crazy. What I wanted to say was not coming out. Had trouble calling 911. Luckily 6 year old son helped me flag down a neighbor and she called an ambulance.

Was rushed to hospital, had CT scan, and they found clot in my brain after a stroke....and told I should have TPA medicine administered (very important to have it within 3-4 hours— if something is happening DO NOT Try to rest it off!). If my kids weren’t there, I probably would have tried to lay down and rest it off. Signed waiver to have it administered, acknowledging 5% bleed heavily, and 1% die. Told me it works for about 30%. Then they sent me on another ambulance ride to another hospital where a neurological surgeon and his team were waiting to operate. They went in through my leg and removed the clot. I was awake, which was pretty wild (story for another day). After clot was removed speech immediately was fully restored. Went through a plethora of tests over next days and weeks and basically have been told no known cause, and nothing structurally wrong to this point. Wearing a heart monitor for 30 days to see if Afib or some sort of irregularities to heartbeat may have been cause. Had a seizure about 10 days after stroke, which I’m told is fairly common as area heals.

it’s been a wild ride, and mental side is not fun as I’m paranoid over ever little thing now.

if something ever happens, play it safe and get in! Life is short, and nothing guaranteed. Enjoy it, and stop sweating stupid crap.

and Go Illini, win it all and cash in on my 70-1 bet. Why Not Us?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News