ADVERTISEMENT

Midsummer thoughts

IlliniJoe81

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
*Crazy to think that Giorgi was playing most of the season with a serious thumb injury that limited his shooting and ballhandling. I also wonder if that was a factor in his turnovers. Gives me more confidence that he can slide over to the 4 spot.

*This has to be Ayo's team now. What does sophomore Ayo look like compared to freshman Ayo? Dramatic improvement on both sides of the assist/turnover ratio, a significant boost in free throw percentage and free throw rate, and a nice boost in 2PT% from finishing through contact. All of that will add up to much more efficient offense.

*What do we need at the 3/4 to replace Aaron Jordan? 35+% shooting from 3, OR%+DR% > 20, TOrate < 12%, and 75+% free throw shooting will fill that gap, but we have potential for dramatic improvement over his 28% shooting from 2 (50% would be about right). Would also help to have a little more height/length at the 4 spot for defensive purposes, but I think Giorgi sliding down some will help take the pressure off there.

The three candidates to step up:

#3 - Kipper Nichols:
Good enough: 2PT%
Needs to and should improve: 3PT%, rebounding, FT%
Red flags: TOrate, sophomore to junior regression

#2 - Alan Griffin:
Good enough: 2PT% and rebounding
Needs to and should improve: 3PT% and FT%
Red flags: TOrate, only 180 lbs

#1 - Tevian Jones:
Good enough: 2PT%, TOrate, FT%
Needs to and should improve: 3PT%, rebounding
Red flags: Only played in 24 games

I think Tevian is the guy to watch but we'll probably do this by committee. Two of these guys stepping up would probably get it done and also trim Da'Monte's minutes down to a more appropriate level.

*Kouma and BBV are unlikely to be a factor at all in this coming season. Most likely they are developmental guys.

*I'm still a huge Samba Kane fan. I think there is a niche for him and a lot of sophomore leap potential. Offseason will do him a lot of good.

*There is no comp for Kofi. He is just huge. Impossible to know what to expect but Underwood is going to have a lot of fun with a weapon like that. Nobody else has a guy like him. You have to figure on instant and long-term impact.

*Biggest room for improvement: layups and free throws. Other teams feasted on them against us, and we couldn't convert them on our end. That's how we flip 12-21 to 21-12 in a single season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News