ADVERTISEMENT

Leron Black first recipient of Henson scholarship

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Champaign, ILL.– Having spent much of the last two years traveling internationally, Leron Black's hopeful future profession as a high school world geography teacher is now more attainable than ever.

Two years after last being enrolled at the University of Illinois, the former Fighting Illini basketball star will begin course work this coming week to finish his master's degree in education. As is appropriate for Black, his online semester will be begin "South of the Border" in the Central Mexican city of Guanajuato, where he'll play for Team Abejas de León in Mexico's National Professional Basketball League (Liga Nacional de Baloncesto Profesional).

Thanks to a generous gift from a pair of Illinois basketball alumni, the 2018 captain and three-time letter winner will be taking classes tuition-free. Black is the first recipient of the Lou and Mary Henson Men's Basketball Academic Assistance Fund.

Black says he's "blessed" to be the beneficiary of this free education.

"I'm extremely happy and grateful for this opportunity," he said. "Illinois is a big family. Even though I left a little early, I've still been able to stay in contact and get help from the University and the people at the U of I."

Black can thank former Illini players Larry Lubin and Steve Lanter for this chance to complete his advanced degree. Lubin was Henson's first-ever recruit some 45 years ago, while Lanter was a member of the former Illinois coach's celebrated second recruiting class.

The ball got rolling late last year when longtime Illini trainer Rod Cardinal forwarded a holiday letter from the Hensons to UI's basketball alums.

"At the end of the note, Mary reminded us to be thankful for all our blessings and how our Illini basketball family is a blessing to them," Lubin said. "But it also reminded us how fortunate we are to have Coach and Mary in our lives. They set the example for success in life through their love for each other, the importance of hard work every day, and toughness to get through adversity and selflessness for our team, our University, community and families."

Lubin, now the Managing Director of Chicagoland's NFP Insurance Solutions, got on the phone with Lanter.

"Steve and I were both in tears about how great it was to hear from Mary," he said. "That letter really touched us. Steve said to me, 'Larry, we've got to do something in Coach and Mary's honor.' So, that was the genesis of this scholarship."

Lanter, the founder of Lanter Delivery Services in Des Peres, Mo., said Mary Henson's letter was so heartfelt that it immediately caused him to reflect back on his days in Champaign-Urbana.

"I'm a Southern Illinois kid who played for the state university," he said. "Looking back, my education at the University of Illinois has opened so many doors for me and projected my business career. Lou was so good to me and my memories are so strong about him and Mary. I hope other people can reflect on their time at Illinois under Lou and just think back on the great memories like I have. I'm hoping that other players have the heart to join Larry and me. We'd like to build this thing up to where this thing goes on and on."

Mary Henson, who lost her beloved husband of more than six decades last month, said she's been overwhelmed by well wishes from the community and the college basketball family.

"We are so beholden to everyone for all their support and love and caring that they've shown our family and shown Lou," she said.

Mary and Lou were especially moved upon learning about Lubin and Lanter's plan for a scholarship in their honor.

"We were so touched by the thought of having something like that initiated in our honor," Mary said. "Lou and I talked it over and we decided that it would be a great thing if we could help out those young men who didn't complete their education for one reason or another. Lou was the son of a poor sharecropper from Oklahoma. The only way he would have ever been able to get a college education was to get a basketball scholarship. We know how important assistance like that is. Education is a priority and we just have to support that idea. Years later, many of our former players decide that the time is right to go back to school, but they need assistance. We're thrilled that we can use those donations in that way. It's a wonderful honor to have such a thing for Lou and me."

Leron Black received his bachelor's degree in December of 2017 and was in the midst of beginning work on his master's in January of 2018, during his final three months wearing the Orange and Blue. But instead of coming back for one more year of college ball, Black decided to opt for a chance at playing professionally.

"I had played so well that season that I thought that the timing was right to play professionally," he said. "That's always been my dream. Basketball doesn't last forever."

Black began his pro career with a team in Israel, then got drafted by the Toronto Raptors G-League team and played in Canada for a short while. He finished his rookie year playing in Junín, Argentina. Returning to Chicago to be with his fiancé, Sheila, during the summer of 2019, Black signed last August with a team in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. However, his stay in South America ended in March when COVID-19 emerged. That's when Black began to think about re-pursuing the final 20 credit hours of his master's degree.

"This scholarship is a fitting tribute to Lou and Mary and the lifelong impact they've had on the hundreds of alumni who played for Coach," current Illinois head coach Brad Underwood said. "We talk a lot with our team about paying it forward, and here you see that philosophy in action. The generosity of Larry, Steve and others who've worn the Illini jersey are providing Leron the opportunity to finish his master's degree, so that Leron can in turn help young people by teaching once the ball has stopped bouncing for him."

Black got to meet Coach Henson in 2017.

"I could tell that he loved being in the gym and being around the game," Black said. "Coach Henson was genuinely happy when he was around basketball. From the short time I got to spend with him, it was obvious that he was a genuine and caring person."

Black has some advice for Coach Underwood’s highly touted 2020-21 Fighting Illini.

"Stay focused, work hard, and keep doing what the staff tells you," he said. "Don't get caught up with people telling you how good you are."

Gifts to the Lou and Mary Men's Basketball Academic Assistance Fund can be made to:

U of I Foundation
Lou and Mary Henson Men's Basketball Academic Assistance Fund
1305 W. Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Lou and Mary Henson Men's Basketball Academic Assistance Fund

For any questions, please contact Lee Zerrusen, 217-244-1236

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News