ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas

Frankie Williams

Feb 12, 2013
Jay Bilas has officially become an annoyance to me. He started out as the voice against the NCAA. Finally, someone speaking out against some of the stupid things the NCAA does.

But now he seems to not care about education at all.

His latest tweet states "NCAA shouldn't be in the eligibility business. Each school can decide whom to admit, educate and to whom to give a uniform."

So, basically it appears he is saying that the NCAA should NOT require a minimum ACT score, GPA, and amount of core classes to be eligible to play. I don't see how this benefits the kids at all. Programs will start admitting anyone and not care about the kids high school education at all. Will kids have to even graduate high school? Would the kids have any motivation to work hard in the classroom if it's not a requirement to play D1? What's the benefit here Jay?

Two days ago, Jay Bilas had another problem with the NCAA. He tweeted out "Interesting to see NCAA cracking down on those pesky college graduates continuing to play ball. What a big problem." He included a link to an NCAA article about proposed new requirements for grad transfers.

This tweet appears to be sarcastic and negative toward the new proposed rules for grad students. Well what are the rules?

Current rules:
  • Enrollment in graduate school or other postgraduate studies. Students are not required to declare which degree they are seeking or a major for post-baccalaureate studies.
  • Enrollment in six hours of academic credit.
And the new rules Jay Bilas is apparently against?

The committee will ask the Division I Council to sponsor legislation that would require graduate and post-baccalaureate students to declare a specific degree program and another measure that would require those students to complete at least six hours of degree-applicable credit per semester.

The rule changes would ensure that postgraduate students competing in athletics are making meaningful academic progress toward a specific degree.

I don't see a problem with the new proposed rules. is it that bad for 5th year transfers to declare a specific program and take six credit hours per semester?

The NCAA isn't a model of perfection. There are plenty of complaints to be filed in the suggestion box. I thought Jay Bilas would be the voice of reason. But now I see him as a common message board poster. Bilas has taken a stance and will say and do anything to back his agenda.

So what do you think board? Is Jay Bilas losing his mind? Is Jay Bilas right on his apparent views as shown in this post? Or, are you just tired of hearing about Jay Bilas?

Reactions: Red Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News