ADVERTISEMENT

Interview of 50 Illini football players puts coach Tim Beckman in perspective

turboja2003

Apr 9, 2005
Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...otball-tim-beckman-20150730-story.html#page=1

To assess Beckman's tenure, the Tribune reached out to every player he has coached at U. of I., ultimately interviewing more than four dozen former and current players. What emerged is a portrait of a program caught in discord at the outset because of Beckman's rocky relationships with players he inherited from his predecessor, Ron Zook.

His current players are overwhelmingly positive about Beckman and describe a coach who cares about them and their performance on the field and in class.
But many of Beckman's former players portray him as gruff, confrontational and verbally abusive. Some described a culture that discouraged them from resting if injured and an approach that seemed to divide the team into factions.

"I really wasn't high on Beckman from the get-go," said Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Akeem Spence, who lined up one season for Beckman before leaving early for the NFL. "Seeing how he talked to people, seeing how he coached.

"I know there's a thing called tough love and all that, but at times I felt like he took it to the extreme, going up to guys, trying to snatch their helmets, cussing at players — basically talking bad to them, degrading them."

Some players allege that Beckman made it clear who should remain on the roster and went to great lengths to stamp out players he didn't want with constant drug testing, threats to take away scholarships and attempts to persuade them to transfer.

U. of I. declined to let Beckman be interviewed for this story. In a statement, it said Beckman "treats his team as family and strives to teach them to play for each other. He recognizes and rewards the team for actions and behaviors that build cohesiveness. ... While the allegations this summer have been disturbing to the student-athletes, coaches and staff, members of the program say this has brought them closer together and made them more determined to succeed on and off the field this year."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News