ADVERTISEMENT

Illini Open Spring Practice April 6th

Erich_Fisher

Jul 31, 2018
Champaign, IL
Today's practice ran very long, going on two-and-half hours, from 2:30 to 5 p.m. It was a standard practice with walk-thrus, stretches, position drills, 7-on-7 and 1-on-1 line battles, then 11-on-11 scrimmages.

Overall, the defense controlled the practice. The offense scored only three touchdowns and they scrimmaged for nearly two hours. The first team offense hardly picked up first downs as a depleted offense line couldn't get the run game going and receivers continued to not get separation from their defenders. The second team offense didn't have much more success either. Every defensive team outplayed the offense for the majority of practice.

Quarterbacks
M.J. Rivers got the nod at first QB and looked solid. He also looks quicker than he did last fall. Made some pretty routine throws and was composed in the pocket. Only problem was receivers couldn't get open hardly. Had some nice scrambles in response. Matt Robinson had an up and down day which seems to be his new norm. He made some very nice deep ball throws, including one to Dominic Stampley down the field, then he throws a very bad interception to one of the walk-on linebackers. Seems to struggle on the short to intermediate throws, something M.J. doesn't.

Coran Taylor looked okay. There's no question he's a stud athlete as he made some plays on the run today, but he still needs to find consistency with his arm. Still a project.

Running Backs
It seems like every day of practice, Dre Brown has broke off a long touchdown run. He's 100 percent healthy and has a good combination of speed/strength in the backfield this spring. Jakari Norwood and RaVon Bonner looked fine, like I said, the run game couldn't get anything going for the most part. Coaches aren't going to risk playing Reggie Corbin that much in the spring.

Wide Receivers
There's just nothing much to talk about here. Forgot Ricky Smalling was on the field pretty much and Caleb Reams isn't getting any separation any time soon. Donny Navarro ran a nice seam route toward the end of practice and made the catch. Dominic Stampley made the catch of the day when he torched his man 1-on-1 and made the catch down the field. Besides those instances, no real separation down the field.

Tight Ends
Luke Ford flashed his potential in the red zone when he scored the first touchdown of the day. He caught a jump ball over two defender that were both playing tight coverage. Very impressive. Should add that Robinson was the one who threw the pass.

Offensive Line
With Kendrick Green and Vederian Lowe out with non-serious injuries, the offensive line crumbled. Bobby Roundtree man handled Jake Cerny all day. Overall, pass pro was subpar and the run blocking was very poor. Just no push at the line of scrimmage today. The left side of the line is where Rod sends a lot of his runs, so with those injuries, not surprised nothing got going. Oline depth a concern at the moment.

Defensive Line
So if the offensive line struggled, then that means the defensive line had a day. Like I said, Bobby Roundtree was the best player on the field. He had three sacks I'm pretty sure. Calvin Avery had a very strong practice as did Jamal Woods and Tymir Oliver. Ayo Shogbonyo held down the edge pretty well also.

Linebackers
So some news here, Milo Eifler got switched from WILL to SAM. Staff wants to get him on the field and SAM is his best bet. He seems to be finally picking things up. Khalan Tolson looked like the best linebacker on the field today IMO. He's very built physically and was a force against the run. Jake Hansen still in a no contact jersey.

Defensive Backs
Well if receivers weren't getting separation, then that also means the DBs were dogs. I think Keynodo Hudson is starting to rub off on these guys because they were making plays all over the field. Big hits, pass breakups, no air space, you name it. Nate Hobbs and Quan Martin looked like very capable corners. I'm very high on Quan heading into his second season. Safety Tony Adams laid the wood on Caleb Reams over the middle and broke up a pass. Him and Sydney Brown seem to be picking up right where they left off.

I will never, however, understand why Stanley Green plays free safety. He's a liability in coverage at all times. The few long pass plays that occurred today were a result of him. Green needs to play strong safety IMO where he can thrive as heavy hitter against the run.

Those are my notes from today's open practice. May have missed something here and there but there was a lot going on with all the recruits here today. Lot of recruiting updates to come to the sight here soon so look out for those. But any questions? Thanks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News