ADVERTISEMENT

Former Rose Bowl captain Kevin Mitchell named Varsity I Director

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – The University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics has announced that former Rose Bowl captain Kevin Mitchell has been promoted to Varsity I Director after four years as a fundraiser for the Fighting Illini annual fund.

A three-year starting safety, Mitchell was a co-captain for Illinois' 2008 Rose Bowl squad. As a senior in 2007, he led the Big Ten in passes defended and was third in the league in interceptions. In his four years, Mitchell logged nearly 250 total tackles. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in speech communication from Illinois' College of Liberal Arts in December 2007.

“I feel incredibly blessed to represent and be the voice for many former student-athletes and coaches, who have passionately worn the orange and blue” Mitchell said. “As I embark on my new role, I thank the Illini Family for all it has done to support their fellow student-athletes. When you are competing as an Illini, it means the world to know you have the powerful backing of thousands of Illini who have come before you. I look forward to connecting with former letterwinners of all sports and decades in my new position.”

Founded in 1939, the Varsity I Association brings together University of Illinois letterwinners, coaches, and support staff from every sport representing all decades with the goal of developing lifelong relationships between Varsity I members, their teammates and Fighting Illini Athletics.

“Kevin Mitchell is the true definition of an Illini,” Senior Associate Athletic Director Howard Milton said. “His genuine love, and passion for this university can be felt the moment he connects with you. There is no one better to engage our former student-athletes. We are excited to see the growth of the Varsity “I” under his leadership.”

Lee Zerrusen, who served as Director of the Varsity I for the past four years will be transitioning into a new role in the athletics development office as Director of Major Gifts.

“Kevin’s energy and passion for Illinois Athletics is unmatched, and I am confident that he will help take Varsity I to new heights,” Zerrusen said. “It has been a great honor to serve as Director of Varsity I these past four years and I have sincerely enjoyed meeting my fellow Illini and helping us all stay connected.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News