ADVERTISEMENT

For Those Who Think Groce Will Return

dtrain79

Gold Member
Jul 13, 2006
Right now, Pomeroy projects Illinois to have a 14-17 regular season finish. That only has us at 7-11 in the B1G (which isn't an epic fail, so the overall record arguably could be worse if things fall apart further).

This will be Groce's 3rd straight NCAA miss barring an absolute miracle. That has never happened in the 64+ team field era.

Since Timothy Killeen was hired as the UI President, he fired Chancellor Wise. He was obviously a big part of firing AD Thomas. Personally, I believe Thomas fired Beckman as his "hail mary" to saving his own job (hence the reason Thomas and Beckman weren't fired together). He probably fired Thomas a month too late all things considered, but it wasn't realistic that Thomas was going to be gone so quickly after Wise.

So the Chancellor was dismissed. The AD is gone. The football coach is out. And there are people on here that think the underperforming hoops coach is going to stick around when we can't sell out the opening night of our newly-renovated arena against an opponent from the ACC that was in the E8 eight months ago. Seriously?

I'm all for people having a variation of opinions even if I prefer my own. But what is the evidence that Groce will stay?

The only thing I can see saving him is a resurgence in the B1G. A 9-9 record and NIT appearance may get him another year. But right now, that's saving his job. Groce is fired as things stand today. The only question is the name of the new AD terminating him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News