ADVERTISEMENT

Football recruiting: Countdown to signing day

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
With the dead period over, there is a flurry of football recruiting activity all around the country, from last minute offers to newly set visits. I'll post updates in this thread as I hear new information and also try to answer your questions.

Illinois coaches are out on the recruiting trail this week and next. Coaches were making special trips to visit targeted kids in the 2017 class in Chicago, Florida, Texas, and elsewhere. They are also visiting most of the committed kids.

Kel'Shawn Phillips, Carmoni Green, Owen Carney, and Howard Watkins all report to campus this weekend.

The weather shouldn't impact this weekend's visitors. DE's Zion Debose and Jalen Harris are still expected in.

The weekend of Jan. 20 is a huge for Illinois. They have several uncommitted 2017 prospects coming in for visits and could still add a few more. Several of the current commits will also take their official visits that weekend.

I think Illinois is still the leader for both kids who announced a top 6 yesterday, WR Reggie Roberson and TE Louis Dorsey. Dorsey is interesting. He's a 2-star as a wide receiver, but as a tight end prospect he projects higher.

Others: DE Bobby Roundtree has a top 3 of Illinois, Indiana, and NC State. Illinois was in to see him yesterday. Illinois or NC State for OL Josh Fedd-Jackson. UCONN commit Jordan Swan could visit. He's a 2-star corner and a plan B. Minnesota commit Trey Creamer is getting heavy B1G interest including Illinois and Iowa. DE Daniel Callender's senior film was not good. I don't think they would take him now.

East St. Louis HS will have a signing day event at the school, as they always do. If you put a gun to my head I would say Jeff Thomas to Miami-Fla. Illinois is still in it, though. Rey Estes is getting looks from Minnesota. I'm not sure Illinois would be able to get him enrolled. I would be surprised if LB/S James Knight doesn't announce for Illinois.

Illinois will still look at the grad transfer market at key position groups. Who they take depends on who they sign, so we won't hear any news break until after Feb. 1.

What are your questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News