ADVERTISEMENT

Early answer to a mailbag question

Josh Helmholdt

Sep 23, 2001
Just got off the road and wanted to comment on the Reggie Love commitment. My Midwest Mailbag will not be out until Tuesday, but I had already prepared the answers earlier this weekend to a couple questions submitted. I share one of those below (since it's now obsolete):

Percentages are tough to pin down, so I’ll just skip to the punchline and say it happens. Former Trinity Catholic head coach Cory Patterson is now joined by 2019 Trinity grads Isaiah Williams and Shammond Cooper in Champaign. That is a lot of connections for guys like Reggie Love and Mookie Cooper. I have always felt that Illinois was going to end up with Love in the end, and the signal that his four-star teammate, Cooper, was wavering on a recent commitment to Texas was a visit to Illinois.

Illinois is not going to land every prospect from Trinity Catholic if the program keeps kicking out Power Five talent at its current rate. Last year four-star Marcus Washington and three-star Ira Henry signed with Texas and Florida State, respectively, despite having Illinois offers. However, Illinois is going to be a factor for all of the top kids out of that school it wants, and the more connections between the two programs that exist the more success it will generate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News