ADVERTISEMENT

Day 9 training camp notes

Erich_Fisher

Jul 31, 2018
Champaign, IL
We're back for Week Two of camp. Schedule was the same as it was on Saturday: walk-thrus/position drills, the 5v5 wr screen drill, 11v11 RPO/read option session, 7v7 and OL/DL 1v1, and then 11v11 and two minute drill.

Less guys out today because it wasn't an off day: S Sydney Brown, RT Alex Palczweski, DE Seth Coleman, DT Tymir Oliver, OL Verdis Brown, WR Trevon Sidney, WR Casey Washington, OL Jordyn Slaughter, TE Luke Ford.

DT Calvin Avery practiced today after sitting out the last couple of days.

CB Devon Witherspoon still not practicing.

Tough first day of the week for the Offense. Looked worse than it did on Saturday. Passing game struggled, running game started slow but picked up a little at the end, and pass protection again was not good even with the first team offensive line. Two straight solid practices from the defense, but I don't think they were playing at a high level or anything, just think the offense was bad again.

Offense:

QBs didn't do much that was noteworthy, which means they had a bad day. Peters struggled to connect with his receivers and his accuracy was nowhere near what it was most of last week. Off day from him, and he got stripped sack in the endzone too, which is more on the protection, but still failed to take care of the ball. His only pick came during 7v7 and off a tip pass. Helluva from Hansen to catch it.

Matt Robinson did his normal thing of just being all over the place. Should've thrown 4 picks at least during 7v7, he instead threw 2 because the defense didn't catch the ball. Threw two picks during 11v11. He took second team reps only today. But Robinson on cue hit WR Danny Navarro on a beautiful deep ball down the field during the two minute drill and converted for a touchdown a couple plays later on a slant pass. The guy is just unpredictable in a bad way.

Isaiah Williams for whatever reason took mostly 3rd team reps today, so it makes me wonder if they were adding new stuff in with the offense today or what because there's no reason he should be taking 3rd team reps otherwise. He took maybe one 1st team rep during the first 11v11 session and that was it. He struggled passing the ball too and had a bad pick during 7v7. His best pass of the day came when he hit WR Ricky Smalling down the field for a decent gain. Williams had a couple nice scrambles as you would assume, but passing game wasn't there for the most part like the rest of the QBs.

Overall, I would say the QBs took a step back for the second straight practice.

NO DRE BROWN TD RUN TODAY! I'm shocked about it too. He had a couple nice runs but nothing crazy. Rod got into it with RB Reggie Corbin again today because Corbin tried kicking a run to the outside instead of hitting his hole up the middle for a first down. Corbin took a loss on the play. RB Mike Epstein had a nice day I thought. His vision is so good and he hits his whole hard. I think this off day/on day schedule for him is a really smart idea and is working well. He looks really healthy and almost rejuvenated. RB Jakari Norwood was the best RB today. He had several long runs. As soon as he gets to the outside or gets some space and gets going North-to-South, he's a tough guy to catch. Continue to think he's been very good.

I mentioned him earlier, but Smalling had a good practice today. I think today was honestly the first day I noticed Smalling make a play. That may not be true, but you get what I'm trying to say. He needs to build off today as he had a couple nice catches down the field. The best catch of the day came from WR Dalevon Campbell who skied high for a TD catch over a defender during 7v7. Also thought Dominic Stampley had a good practice. He caught passes, so that's as low as the bar is for him.

Second straight bad practice from the offensive line. The first team was able to establish an inside run (Lowe and Green with nice blocks to open holes for Norwood), but couldn't get anything going outside again and pass protection was just not good. Jake Cerny played RT today in place of Palcho and it showed when runs got kicked his way. QB didn't have much time in the pocket again as pass protection wasn't good. As good as Kendrick Green is in run blocking, his pass pro is inconsistent. Got beat for DT Lere Oladipo a couple times today. The 2nd team offensive line was just bad in all aspects. The lone bright spot came from RT Julian Pearl making some really nice pull blocks on the left side of the field. Good to see his run blocking improve, but he's still tough to watch with pass pro.

Defense:

Defensive line got plenty of pressure today again. Oluwole Betiku had a strip sack on Peters in the endzone which would've been a TD more than likely. He got chipped by Lowe and went 1v1 with Corbin, who he easily dispatched of and got the hand on the ball as Peters was about to throw. It was a mismatch the entire time for Betiku. Oladipo had another good day like I kind of mentioned earlier and DT Jamal Milan dominated against the run today. DT Calvin Avery had good day of practice in his return. He took care of C Doug Kramer during 1v1s and got pressure easily during his 2nd team 11v11 reps. DE Owen Carney registered another sack today and DE Keith Randolph had a strong practice lining up against Pearl. DE Isaiah Gay got the better of Lowe during 1v1s, something that hadn't happened much this camp. Encouraging stuff from the D-line, but going to need this type play from them tomorrow and the day after before I start crediting them over bad O-line play.

LB Milo Eifler received almost strictly 1st team reps today and he looks like he belongs there now. Was slow to learn things in the spring, but seems to be up to speed and then some here in fall camp.

CB Marquez Beason had a good day again today and got a chance to play some 1st team reps when CB Nate Hobbs went to the tent for a second. The ball didn't get thrown his way so nothing came out of him from those reps. But during his usual 2nd team reps, he played well and had a PBU or two. Hobbs and CB Quan Martin had another good day, but not many PBUs from them since the QBs weren't really putting the ball on the mark today. It was either give up a completion or watch the ball sail five feet above your head.

S Stanley Green played alongside S Tony Adams during 11v11. First 11v11 reps of camp for him I think. He should've picked off Robinson about two times during 7v7 reps, but that happens.

And that's it from Day 9 of camp. Another stepback from the offense today, which means the defense looked solid of course. Interested to see if this slight pass rush the D-line is bringing will continue or if it really is just poor O-line play like I believe. Need more from the QBs tomorrow after two straight bad practices.

Any questions?

Reactions: illiniallstars
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News