ADVERTISEMENT

Day 8 training camp notes

Erich_Fisher

Jul 31, 2018
Champaign, IL
Despite rumors, today was not a straight scrimmage. It played out the same format as the previous days this week: walk-thrus/position drills. There was some almost like 5v5 action (no lines, worked only one side of the field) where the offense worked on RPO plays except the pass was a WR screen to the flat. Then came the 11v11 RPO/option session, then came 7v7 and 1v1 OL/DL, then 11v11 and 2 min drill.

Injury list today was longer than usual. Starting to get curious, but still more than likely precautionary. Out was OL Jordyn Slaughter, RT Alex Palczweski, S Sydney Brown, RB Mike Epstein, DTs Tymir Oliver, Jamal Milan, Calvin Avery and DE Seth Coleman. WR Trevon Sidney out after taking a hit yesterday, RB RaVon Bonner still out, WR Edwin Carter, WR Dalevon Campbell, OL Verdis Brown, OL Josh Plohr.

Some guys on off days, others a little banged up.

CB Devon Witherspoon has officially joined the team. Wasn't padded up today, but was on the sidelines. His number is 31.

Overall, defense dominated today. Banged up O-line helped with that. Passing game regressed and Rod was not very happy about it afterwards when he talked to us. Run game had success inside, but nothing going on the edges. Very impressed with the defense. They made some plays where you just have to tip your cap to them. Others were offensive blunders.

Offense:

Rod didn't think the QBs had a very good day, but boy if today was a bad day for QB Brandon Peters, his good days are going to be scary. I thought he was throwing the ball with precision, made the right reads, and his overall playmaking was impressive during the two-minute drill. He dominated his reps of 7v7, making numerous tough throws perfectly. His two-minute drill was showtime. On third down, roughly at the opp 40, Peters' pocket collapsed like it had been all day. He first rolled to his right, but DE Ayo Shogbonyo held containment. He then rolled out to the entire left side of the field, threw across his body as he was falling, and perfectly threaded a ball to WR Josh Imatorbhebhe at about the 15 yard line. Honestly I think Bhebhe could've scored on the play. Peters finished off the drive with perfect throw to the endzone to Caleb Reams. Passing game may not have been there today, but that 2 minute drive from Peters was impressive.

Matt Robinson had another Matt Robinson day. Beautiful deep ball to WR Danny Navarro down the field for a TD, then throws a pick his following rep. In 7v7, he had me scratching my head the whole time. He threw a pick directly to LB Khalan Tolson who was just sitting right in the middle of the field playing Cover 2. I don't know how he didn't see him. Scrambles weren't bad from him today.

Isaiah Williams took all of Robinson's first team reps and did okay today. Didn't really move the ball down the field like he had in days past. Accuracy was fine, but not impressive. He had a couple nice runs, but couldn't back it up with the arm today. O-line didn't help anyone today and I'll talk about that in a second.

RB Dre Brown had another long run as expected. Liked RB Jakari Norwood's day, but the run game overall didn't go anywhere. Inside runs were fine like Rod said, but literally no run got any yards when it got kicked outside.

Imatorbhebhe has built a strong connection with Peters and he continues to make plays like the one he did today. Also had a strong 7v7 session. Already mentioned Navarro and his day. Reams may struggle with getting any separation, but his route running and hands allows him to continue to make catches in camp.

And now the O-line, today was tough. Pass protection was almost non-existent in my opinion. Defense threw a good amount of blitzes their way and couldn't handle it. Counted about 4 sacks at least today and I'm sure that number is higher. Guys were banged up, I get it, but even the 1st team O-line struggled and they've been really good this camp. Could've just been one of those days, but I'm just telling you what I saw from them today. Not worth any further discussion, just was a bad day from them. BUT, I must say LT Vederian Lowe is big time. Man it's really fun watching him during 1v1s. If he has a consistent season, he's NFL bound for sure. He handled DEs Owen Carney and Wole Betiku with ease.

Defense:

D-line and the pass rush had their best day of camp. Blitzes helped, but you saw a lot of d-linemen get in the backfield today. Betiku and Shogbonyo started on at the DE spots and brought a solid pass rush with really good containment for the most part. Both registered a sack today. DT Lere Oladipo capped off what's been a really good week for him. During 11v11 I think he had 1 sack, and 3 total TFLs. Really impressed with him. Also have been really impressed with DT Deon Pate. he's getting some first team and second team reps with guys out and he's been providing a strong push in the middle on some plays.

LBs did their thing today. Hansen had a big time sack and a couple pressures coming on some blitzes. Him and LB Dele Harding made plays against the run as they have been all week. Tolson had a really strong day against the second team guys. 2nd team and 3rd team got to tackle so you can tell who's making what play a lot better. LB Tarique Barnes made a couple tackles as well against the run.

CB Nate Hobbs and Marquez Beason provided today's highlights. First Hobbs, who ended the 1st team's last two minute drill on the first play. He first jumped the slant route, causing the ball to get tipped into the air on the collision, then in mid-air, brought the ball in with one hand, landed on his feet and probably would've returned the ball to the house. Big time play out of him which had Lovie very pleased. Beason jumped the same route in his 2nd team rep, but anticipated it so quickly he picked it clean from Robinson. Instincts were off the chart on the play. Been really fun watching those guys this practice.

PK Caleb Griffin had been rough the last couple days of practice, but was spot on today. He hit all his FGs which included a 55 yarder I want to say. Got great reviews from Lovie afterwards. I would give the kicking edge to Griffin just because I think the team really wants Griffin to win the spot.

And that's it from today. Tackling occurred with the 2nd and 3rd teams so that was fun. 1st team defense dominated the 1st team offense besides Peters' two minute drive. O-line probably had it's worst day of camp, which means the D-line probably had its best day of camp. Next week is going to be very interesting and more telling as the coaches narrow down the depth chart starting on Monday.

We'll be there for all the coverage of course. And lastly, any questions?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News