ADVERTISEMENT

Day 7 training camp notes

Erich_Fisher

Jul 31, 2018
Champaign, IL
Same schedule as it's been all week: walk-thrus/position drills, 11v11 RPO/read option session, 7v7 and 1v1 OL vs DL session, then 11v11 and 2 minute drill.

Long list of players out today. I'm assuming these are all minor injuries or rest days because some of these guys have been practicing every day before this. Players out include: RB RaVon Bonner, S Tony Adams, DT Kenyon Jackson, WR Edwin Carter, OL Jordyn Slaughter, DT Tymir Oliver, TE Griffin Palmer, S Sydney Brown, CB Joseph Thompson, DE Seth Coleman, TE Alex Pihlstrom, CB Dylan Wyatt.

RT Alex Palczewski just had an off day today, so he was walking around in pads and a bucket hat. DT Calvin Avery participated at the beginning of today's camp, but then sat out the rest and was doing stretches etc for the rest of the day. Thinking he cramped or something.

Offense and the defense exchanged blows with one another today. Don't think either group stood out and "won" the day. If I did have to chose however, I would say the defense.

Offense:

This is QB Brandon Peters' job as I know we've already stated before, but he just looks really sharp and comfortable running the offense now. The last couple days he's been rolling out of the pocket and hitting guys in the short-intermediate ranges right on target. He just looks solid and consistent out there. Still waiting for him to take that deep shot down the field some time, but Week Two of camp is when you usually start seeing most of those type of plays. Peters has the best accuracy of the QBs, he threaded this one throw during 7v7 where TE Daniel Barker had two defenders on him and placed it back shoulder into the endzone perfectly.

QB Isaiah Williams got 1st team reps for the first time this week and excelled with them. Ran the offense fine, didn't turn the ball over, had the flashy plays when scrambling out of the pocket and had an impressive two minute drive at the end of practice. They ran some goal line stuff (and this was against the 3rd team FYI in this case) and he scrambled out of the pocket, stopped on a dime to juke the DE and dove into the endzone for a TD. During the two minute drill, Williams had a 1:30 on the clock and started at his own 30 yard line and the goal of the drive was to get a FG. Had a nice scramble to get some yards, run play, then he hit WR Kyron Cumby down the seam for a huge gain. He dropped the ball in perfectly. The offense ran a couple more short yardage plays and PK Caleb Griffin nailed the FG. Really good stuff from Williams today and I fully expect him to take most of QB Matt Robinson's first team reps next week which I think may have been the plan all along.

Robinson regressed today after a strong performance yesterday. He went back to being inconsistent. He would make a nice throw one play during 7v7 then throw a pick the next. Didn't really see anything out of him during 11v11 besides when he'd just throw ball somewhere even though he didn't have any clue where he was going with it sometimes. Like I said, Williams will more than likely become the second string QB heading into Week Two.

Yes I know all of you were wondering... RB Dre Brown had another long TD run today. Might as well start assuming he gets one of these a day now. RB Mike Epstein probably got the most reps he's gotten all of practice and I thought he looked really good today. He found the hole well and hit it hard. Encouraging to see from him. Also thought RB Reggie Corbin had some nice moments too. Same goes for RB Jakari Norwood. Even RB Kenyon Sims had a nice run thrown in there. With all that said, the run offense got kept under control for the most part today which I credit more to the defense even though I thought the offensive line probably didn't have their best day.

Another solid day from WR Josh Imatorbhebhe. He looks like a reliable receiver and we're starting to see him and Peters build a really strong connection like I said yesterday in the camp notes. Like what he brings to the team the more I see him. Cumby was a common target for Williams during his reps and he showed a good ability to get separation. Boy isn't that a fun connection, Williams to Cumby. Made some clutch catches during the two minute drill. WR Trevon Sidney looked good in the 1v1s, but must've got a little bang up during the first 11v11 session because he had a helmet off the remainder of practice.

Defense:

Defensive line looked really solid today. They kept the run in check mostly. DT Jamal Milan made some nice plays against the run and DT Lere Oladipo stood out for sure. He probably had two or three tackles against the run and a sack today. DE Oluwole Betiku look good overall today. Made a couple nice tackles against the run. He did get a little excited on one play when he straight-up nailed Corbin when Corbin was already heading out of bounds. He got a good talking to after that from Lovie. Defense overall got sick and tired not being to hit and tried getting away with some more shots today. Lovie had to call the group together to remind them to lay off Corbin, Brown, Epstein and the QBs, but every other player was fair game. Pass rush was a tad better today, but don't look too hard into that, need to see more still heading into Week Two to think otherwise about that area.

Also almost forgot to mention that DT Moses Okpala probably had his best day of camp. I didn't watch the 1v1s today because I watched 7v7 instead, but about two or three times I saw the DL get really hyped after Okpala's reps, and then in 11v11, he made a couple nice tackles. Good to see from him.

Linebackers had a really strong day. LB Dele Harding was a force against the run again, LB Jake Hansen had a big time strip sack on Robinson and then recovered the ball himself. And LB Milo Eifler did it in all facets. He should've had a pick today when he came out of nowhere to cover the player running a flat route. Ball had some zip on it and banged through his hands. Lovie even said today he feels really good about his Top 4 LBs (this includes Delano Ware).

I may have forgot to write it down which is why I'm unsure about this, but I think CB Marquez Beason had another pick today. Might have came during 7v7. He's still got a ways to go to adjust to the game, but he's taking the right steps.

And that's it from today. Thought today was a fun day to watch since the offense and defense were going back and forth at each other. Defense probably looked better overall but I wouldn't take away anything from the offense there. Now that I'm thinking about it, the LBs really dictated today's practice with their play. Saw good things from both sides of the ball.

Your questions?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News