ADVERTISEMENT

Day 10 training camp notes

Erich_Fisher

Jul 31, 2018
Champaign, IL
So obviously the knee injury to freshman CB Marquez Beason was the big story of practice, but I am going to refrain from talking about it anymore here. If you are unaware of what happened, check out the front page story or the other thread specifically about Beason.

Today was the normal schedule: walk-thrus/position drills, 1v1 between WR&DB, 11v11 RPO/read option session, 7v7 and OL/DL 1v1, and then 11v11 and two minute drill.

Off day for the normal group of guys: DT Jamal Milan, WR Edwin Carter, RB Mike Epstein and even LB Jake Hansen. Out with injuries were S Sydney Brown, OL Jordyn Slaugher, DE Seth Coleman, WRs Trevon Sidney and Casey Washington, RT Alex Palczewski, DT Tymir Oliver, OL Verdis Brown, and freshman corners Joseph Thompson and Devon Witherspoon.

WR Josh Imatorbhebhe had to leave practice today for an injury which Lovie said was a part of the "bumps and bruises of practice."

After the Beason injury, Lovie decided to pull a lot of the 1st string defense guys like CB Nate Hobbs, LB Dele Harding and several of the D-linemen.

Offense started off really bad today, then got chewed out by Rod and he made the entire first team offense do up-downs for a couple minutes, and they performed much better toward the end of practice and in the two minute drill. Still think the defense performed better overall today before Lovie pulled starters.

Offense:

QB Brandon Peters was much sharper today, but started off really slow. He was completing the short passes, but couldn't get much going beyond 10 yards until the second session of 11v11. During 7v7, he excelled once again, picking apart the defense and not turning the ball over. Then during the last 11v11 session, he put together what was probably the most efficient drive of camp. His two-minute drive on Saturday was his most impressive so far to date, but today's drive showed his command of the offense. He dropped a dime to RB Reggie Corbin on a wheel route down the field and a couple plays later hit WR Ricky Smalling perfectly on a slant route for a touchdown.

I think QB Matt Robinson had a fine day during 11v11. He had a nice drive and a couple nice balls while turning on the burners and taking off down the field for a huge gain before he threw a TD pass to end the drive. But whatever it is, he is really bad during 7v7. Obviously I know which one matters more, but jeez it's rough to watch him during 7v7. The good thing from him is that he didn't turn the ball over during 11v11 and he mostly made the throws he needed to.

QB Isaiah Williams continued to rep with the 3rd team during 11v11 and also had a nice drive to end the two-minute drill. Commanded the offense well and finished the drive off with hitting WR Kyron Cumby down the seam for a TD. He repped with the first team offense during 7v7 one time and after he got picked by CB Nate Hobbs at first, he immediately responded with dropping consecutive dimes to TE Daniel Barker for TDs. Williams is continuing to develop and get eased into this offense with the training wheels on the last couple of days.

But before this two-minute drill, all three QBs had struggled to move the ball at all during the passing game. Missing reads, taking sacks, not completing throws. They were tough to watch before Rod ripped everyone a new one.

BACK-TO-BACK NO LONG TD RUNS FROM DRE BROWN! But RB Jakari Norwood compensated for one of his own today. He continues his strong camp and I thought Corbin was good today too. RB Kenyon Sims has quietly had a solid camp, but him getting reps is very unlikely, but he has been better. RB RaVon Bonner was wearing a no-contact jersey today, so that's a promising sight.

Barker was the star receiver of practice. The tight end caught about 4 touchdown passes overall during 7v7 and had one during 11v11 too. His combination of size, hands and sneaky speed has made him a mismatch problem some days here in camp. Barker really transformed his body and game, and so far it looks to be paying off big time.

Offensive line got the brunt of Rod's yelling today. They started practice really bad again (this is mostly referring to the 1st team, at this point I think he's just accepted how bad the other O-line groups have been). Pass protection wasn't good, but to be fair, I think Peters held on to the ball a little too long today on a couple of the sacks. Outside runs continue to struggle and the interior runs were hit and miss today. Protection kicked up once Rod lit a fire under them just like everything picked up after Rod yelled at everyone. Today was a rough day for Jake Cerny who continues to fill in for Palcho at RT. The O-line loss today's 1v1s today pretty decisively too. Kramer and Lowe was solid, but besides that every else had a couple pretty bad reps.

Defense:

Alright, with it now being three days in a row, I'm going to give real credit to the D-line today and the pass rush they've brought. DE Oluwole Betiku has been the best pass rusher these last three days, registering a sack each day at the least and making some really good tackles against the run. DE Owen Carney was solid today (not great, but fine) and DT Jamal Woods was very active against the run. Today was the first day of camp I saw the player DT Calvin Avery was supposed to be coming into this camp and not the out of shape guy we got. He's been repping with the second and third teams because the staff still isn't happy with him and his conditioning, but he made plays today. Stuffed several tackles against the run (Norwood basically leaped into Avery and he didn't even move, basically caught him. Stonewalled him) and he sacked Williams when he tried scramble out of the pocket. Avery also dominated his 1v1 reps against Preston Engel, like, dominated and ran him over. He still has a long road ahead of him to get Lovie's trust back and get back in shape, but really good signs from him today.

With Hansen out, LB Khalan Tolson got the first string reps at WLB and had a couple PBUs and tackles. When Harding got pulled, freshman LB Tarique Barnes got the nod at MLB. Barnes stuck out the most. He's been good in coverage and filled his gaps appropriately and made the tackle. You should feel good about those two as the backups.

Nothing really to report from the secondary today besides the obvious. Nick Walker was the next man up after Hobbs was pulled. I'm sure the secondary will get shook up in the following days with what happened to Beason.

And that's it for Day 10. Offense started off pretty bad, Rod got POed, offense got better. Defense has strung together 3 straights practices of a solid (but not great) pass rush so they deserve some credit. Barker continues to look like he can do some damage in the passing game too.

Practice is completely closed off tomorrow, so no camp notes. Will be back at it on Thursday.

Any questions?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News