ADVERTISEMENT

D-Line Observations

Illini100

Jan 26, 2002
I spent some time looking through the First Quarter of tape. Some observations that some experts can comment on:

Smoot: I liked his play in previous games and his aggressive nature. However, UNC really exploited his aggressiveness, and his lack of eye discipline. Smoot went right to the running back and allowed QB Williams to go free for a big gainer...........Another time the A.A. Right Guard pulled and labeled Smoot, knocking him on his backside. (I don't think Smoot saw it coming.........Eyes!). Seems like more discipline playing contain and holding his position is required. Seems like this would have made a big difference. .................Note that UNC was set to run the reverse, and further exploit "stay at home" issue, but Carroll Phillips was in the game, saw it coming and made a stopped it cold for a big loss!

Bain and Chunky: both seemed to regularly be doing a slant maneuver that was exploited. Both are strong enough, it seems, but turning their shoulders toward the slant too much (?), seemed to make them vulnerable to getting turned completely around and pushed into the "wash" on the zone blocking schemes.

Ward seems to hold his position on the other end, and played pretty well, from what I saw.

I'm an interested observer, but certainly not an expert............Just seems like a few technique issues could make this group much better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News