ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches, Assistant Coaches, and Administration

dkillini

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2014
Question: What makes up a college basketball staff nowadays? Feel free add your 2 cents. I have given up googling after a few minutes...this is what I have...and basically just looking at college rosters.

Feel pretty confident about first 6:
Head Coach
Assistant Head Coach
Assistant Coach 1
Assistant Coach 2
Director of Basketball Operations
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Student Managers

Not as confident:
Video Coordinator? Can this be a separate position? Or does NCAA limit staffing?
Any others?

How many coaches can recruit on the road? 3 or is it 4.
Are colleges able to bring in outside consultants (skill development gurus) to work with players?

I believe today (and past history) most coaches and assistant coaches fall in category of Jack of all trades or try to be (recruiting, offensive coaching, defensive coaching, develop player skillsets, scouting, etc..).

You have some programs (Wisconsin) that may not recruit as well but their coaching staff is great at skill development and teaching team concepts. Then you have other programs like Kentucky that recruit well but maybe are not as good at skill development. Then you have MSU and Duke who are somewhere in-between.

Now the million dollar question: Should college coaching become more specialized like many organizations in NBA are doing. Now granted..NBA can have more assistant coaches. So maybe not as feasible for college to extent of NBA....but I am not opposed to having one or two assistant coaches that bring to the table a capacity to develop skillsets (shooting in particular and maybe big player development) and maybe not as actively involved as a recruiter or in scouting per se.
Thoughts?

Reactions: Archetype19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News