ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson story: From another Rivals site

houstonwolves

Jan 14, 2003
NewDabo's tenure at Clemson was initially EXTREMELY polarizing. He had a lot of things working against him:

1. The University President was a lukewarm (at best) supporter of Athletics. His focus was on the development and financial well being of campus proper; athletics was a mere afterthough (sort of a nice little add-on).

2. Dabo was hired in lieu of more qualified candidates (Strike one) by an Athletic Director (Terry Don Phillips) who was widely disliked around Clemson because of his frugality (Strike two). As such, a number of people were against Dabo from the start because of his association with Terry Don Phillips.

3. Facilities were horrible and we did not have a support staff in place. Our premiere project (The West End Zone Stadium Project) was delayed, and ultimately reduced in scope. Locker rooms were mediocre and campus housing was, at best, average.

To answer the question right off the bat: A lot of us thought Dabo was in over his head. Like, way over his head. This would certainly include myself. He had a good 2009 campaign that was benefitted greatly by a terrific Offensive Line and a really bad ACC. We were optimistic. Then 2010 happened.

When Dabo took the head coaching job, he kept most of the staff. He fired Rob Spence (the OC) and promoted the-then-TE-Coach Billy Napier to OC. He promoted a graduate assistant, Jeff Scott (son of OL coach Brad Scott) to coach the Receivers. He fired Vic Koenning as DC (who was VERY successful at Clemson) because they didn't get along and hired Kevin Steele, after he struck out with John Chavis and Brent Venables, along with replacing most of the defensive staff based on whom Steele wanted (Charlie Harbison was one of them-- horrible horrible coach). The offensive hires were about Dabo surrounding himself with people whom he felt comfortable with. Both these moves at the coordinator positions proved to be not so good.

In 2010 we should have really won 4 games. We got past an NC State Team because they absolutely shat themselves, and got past Georgia Tech because DaQuan Bowers suddenly decided to play like the five star DE he was recruited as. The OL was depleted and the offense was horrific. I mean, really freaking bad. I think Billy is a TERRIFIC coach, but he and Dabo fought non stop over the play calling. Nobody was in charge, our QB was playing to not get hurt and we were completely one dimensional-- it was total offensive chaos.

After 2010, we wanted Dabo's head and he made the changes he needed to make. He got rid of his FRIENDS Billy and Andre and got serious about being a professional. He fired Billy and RB/ST coach Andre Powell and engaged a search to find an offensive mind that was completely spread oriented. Why? Because you can't hardly get really well coached power run blocking OL in the Southeast as Clemson; Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Florida State grab them first; and, most of the high school kids are either playing in a full spread (Daniel, Byrnes, Gaffney, York etc.) or in a Wishbone/Flexbone offense (Roswell, Northwest, Alpharetta? etc).

There were three main candidates-- TCU OC Justin Fuente, Tulsa OC Chad Morris and former Maryland HC Ralph Fridgen. I, like many, wanted Fat Ralph. Fuente never really was in the mix, but Dabo was enamored with Chad. It was a done deal pretty quick and a LOT of people were angry; why hand the keys to these new offensive toys (Andre Ellington, Jaron Brown, Nuk Hopkins etc.) to a guy who is one year out of high school?

We were very wrong. Chad changed the offensive culture. I didn't think and still don't think he is a very good play caller under pressure, but his scheme is phenomenal. He is why we are where we are today on offense. Sidenote: Brent Venables has done the same thing for the defense-- I'm not sure there is a better DC in College Football right now for their team. The credit goes to Dabo. He had a vision and he found people to fit the vision.

What turned it around for Dabo was this: he has a RELENTLESS commitment to shaping the culture of Clemson; everything he does revolves around it. His coaches have to buy in or they won't be coaching there long. Recruits have to be a fit, no matter their talent. Mike Bellamy was a top RB recruit and didn't last a season because he didn't fit the culture. It's not about "stars". It's about getting people who fit what Clemson does. I see Charlie trying to do the same thing at Texas. It pays dividends in the long run even if it means a slow materialization of results. You can look at Clemson's numbers the first three years and they may look decent..but ask any Clemson fan-- things didn't start to get good until the start of 2012.

So, results were slow to materialize relative to what we had in place. The 2010 recruiting class (which was just the perfect storm) and 2011 class were perfect fits. You couldn't have asked for much better players for Clemson. These Year 3 changes were the tipping point.

In 2011/2012 Dabo made a couple of key changes that IMHO, Charlie Strong must do:
1. He GREATLY expanded the Football Support Staff; this eventually included Thad Turnipseed whom he stole from Alabama.
2. He forced the admin to get serious about football facilities.
3. He nailed down a coaching staff that was in it for the long haul.
4. He placed an extreme emphasis on recruiting early and often. Jeff Scott is a big part of this.

I think if you'd ask me from an outsiders perspective if Charlie would get it done, I would say yes. He's lived his career in the SEC. He doesn't know Texas. He doesn't know the historical culture. But he does know how to succeed. Urban Meyer doesn't personally pitch you to ADs if you aren't worth it.

Year 3 is crucial for Charlie. He has to grow the support staff especially the recruiting support staff, he has to get the RIGHT people to fit the program, and he MUST show some flashes of life in the program, even if they're incomplete. He has a tough road ahead-- lots of in-conference schools are playing very good football but IMHO I think he can do it. It may just not be a soon as you all would like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News