ADVERTISEMENT

Brandin Podziemski....

Brad S

Nov 22, 2002
Sharpshooter Down to Five

For 4 star wing Brandin Podziemski ‘the process’ has paid off. Once known as an elite shooter, and just an elite shooter, he has expanded his game and become a complete player. That has opened the eyes of some of the top programs in the country and now he is set to choose from 5 schools. Illinois, Kentucky, Wake Forest, Miami and Vanderbilt are the 5 that made the cut, but his improvement is the real story.

NY2LA founder and Director Antonio Curro has taken Podziemski under his wing and helped him develop into a complete player. He broke down his game and improvements.

“For him, the biggest work we did was don't just be one dimensional,” Curro said. “He walks in the gym and you say 'He's a shooter'. Yeah, we know he's a shooter but be more than that. But you've gotta move without the ball, you 've gotta step back beyond the arc, you've got to put it on the floor and score off of one dribble. If they take away the first move you've got to have a counter. He's got an artillery of offensive moves that he can go to. He's a student of the game and one of those guys that continues to grow as a player.”

Now, Podziemski is an elite player, and more than just a shooter. Curro has compared his game to NBA players like Manu Ginobli, Luke Kennard and Goran Dragic when it comes to his style of play. He uses angles, makes open shots, can score from all 3 levels and does a bit of everything. He’s also expanded his game to include being more of a combo guard with point guard abilities as a creator.

“He's one of the best shooters in America. I feel like he and Patrick Baldwin are the two best shooters in America, and I had the privilege of coaching them both,” Curro said. “He's exceptional at scoring the basketball. He can score at all levels, he can post up, score off the dribble, catch and shoot. He's tough. His athleticism is above average. He's a leader. He plays hard every possession. He rebounds, he just does a little bit of everything. He fills the box score.”

“He's expanded his game this season to handle the ball more and show he can play the point guard, if needed, Curro said. “I just think there is some Ginobli to him. He's got that old school lefty, the angles, the floaters. He can drop 40 if you let him shoot the ball and he can drop 40 on you with the drives and angles and the old school game like they do at the YMCA. He just gets buckets.”

His performances this fall during the Fall leagues and during the high school season have opened eyes not just because of the gaudy numbers, but because of how efficient he has been in amassing them. Yes, he scored over 2,000 points in 3 years and 947 as a Senior, but he does it efficiently.

“He's so efficient. This fall he shot 20-22 from the floor and 9-10 from 3 in one game, and that was against other D1 kids. I can't do that when I'm shooting by myself,” Curro said.

The Decision

With a list of 5, he is getting closer to making his decision. Curro expects him to make that decision this month, probably towards the end of the month. With no campus visits this spring, he is ready to take the next step.

“The decision will be made in the month of March, probably more toward the back end,” he said. “I think all 5 present different opportunities to him. They are different things that he enjoys in talking to each of the coaches. Now it's time to delve in and do a little bit more of the research and continue to build and foster those relationships.”

Many have felt that once Kentucky offered they were the leader due to connection with his AAU program, but Curro is quick to point out that there is no leader and Kentucky is one of 5, just like everyone else.

'Everybody is in the same place. There is no frontrunner. Those are the 5 schools he is considering and that's all he is considering. They all are great schools. He's not anywhere further along in the process with any of them at this point. I think there has been a little bit of a misread (regarding Kentucky). They are all equally having an opportunity right now. That's as 100 as it can get right now.”

“He's zoomed a few times with Kentucky, he's zoomed with Illinois, he's zoomed with Wake,” Curro said. “Miami and Vandy just got in this week, but they have been having conversations for 6 to 8 weeks. He's gonna zoom with everybody again and find the best fit for himself.”

What Comes Next

Whatever team gets Podziemski isn’t getting a finished product despite his improvements, and that’s in large part due to his work ethic.

“He's not done. He's that good. He will keep getting better. I think he will be a top 25 player nationally,” Curro said.

“It's a testament to his work ethic and a testament to who he is. He was able to be challenged in september and listen to 'You need to change. This needs to get better.' and instead of being a spoiled or entitled kid, he took it to heart and said 'I got you coach' and he went to work.”

It isn’t always easy for high school players that have been wildly successful to change and adapt to new coaching styles or people telling you that you have to change to reach goals down the road. In today’s age of instant gratification few kids have that work ethic and willingness to make those sacrifices and humble themselves. Podziemski did just that

“How hard is it to get a 17 to 18 year old kid that already has D1 offers,say 'I have to change if I want to reach my goals.'? If he wanted to reach his ultimate goal, he had to make changes. He was accountable and he took responsibility and it translated into him growing as a player,” Curro said.

“He overhauled himself. He overhauled his game. He changed his perception of the game and then his natural ability developed. He deserves all of the credit.”

And one of those 5 programs will be reaping the benefits when he heads to college.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News