ADVERTISEMENT

Brad - A Few Questions

Chet the Jet

Jul 9, 2006
The sun is out in Champaign for the first time in what feels like a month - maybe its an omen of good things to come for our beloved - while we wait for the next game, lets hit the basketball expert with a few questions...

Basketball IQ - "Basketball IQ" is a somewhat nebulous term but once again Illinois seems to be a team full of players that lack a general understanding of where to be, and when, on offense and defense. It has been that way at Illinois for years across three coaching staffs.

Is it a coaching issue? In your opinion, is this a "skill" that our coaches look at closely enough when evaluating recruits?

Defense - We all know its bad. I see, like I am sure a lot of us do, bad footwork and positioning on defense. We are not the most athletic team in the world but good defense can be taught as well. If you were on the staff what steps would you take to get this group of players to execute better fundamentally on the defensive end?

The Two Transfers - How have they looked in practice as the season has progressed? Also, given the thin bench, do you think the staff wishes they had only taken one redshirt transfer? Not many options to go to with three ineligible guys and two extremely raw Freshmen.

Stephen Gentry - What is his role on the staff? I was hoping for a Brandon Miller/John Groce type of addition and I don't mean this as a knock on Gentry - curious what his responsibilities are and where (if anywhere) his basketball philosophy differs with Underwood's.

Assistants as a whole - Is the staff on the same page with Underwood's schemes offensively and defensively? How much sway do they have on BU with regard to big changes in how offense or defense is ran?

Ayo - I don't think he is playing that badly lately, but whatever - how open is Ayo himself to staying a third year and where did all of the "Miller does not want to come to Illinois if Ayo is here" talk come from if Miller would indeed come if Ayo stays?

Recruiting - Gotta get that in. Anything new going on recruiting-wise? Does Illinois want a grad transfer next year? Is there room for one?

Thanks as always

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News