ADVERTISEMENT

Any more questions about training camp?

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
A few final thoughts on Illini training camp, and I'll answer any questions that you have left.

* This was the most encouraging training camp that I've attended in my 8 years covering the team. Practices are productive and well scripted. They look like a Big Ten team on the hoof, and practice with a purpose.

* There's a lot of teaching going on with this staff. The new coaches (R.Smith, Byrd, Clark) were particularly impressive. If Rod Smith calls plays as well as he prepares the offense in practice, Lovie hit a home run.

* My gut tells me that this young team is still a year away from being good, but the progress is obvious. Wins and losses are really tough to predict. They could take a pretty big leap forward considering the manageable schedule, or they could lose several close games.

* Path to a bowl game? Win the first two. (2-0). Illinois should be competitive against USF, Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, and Minnesota (3-2). And I'm not sure if Iowa, Nebraska, or Northwestern will be all that great. Upset one of them (1-3).

* AJ Bush obviously separated himself, but the battle for No. 2 QB changed almost daily. I think its going to be MJ Rivers, but would they hand the reins to a freshman if Bush goes down?

* There are numbers at running back, but the position lacks explosiveness overall. It will be interesting to see what 2019 recruits Kyron Cumby and Nick Fedanzo add next year. Norwood can run, but they need more speed and elusiveness. There are no Rashard Mendenhall's on this team.

* Offensive line was the group that still needed the most work at the end of the open practices. I think Rod Smith recognized that, and its why we saw more of Ra'Von Bonner and Dre Brown. They are the best pass blockers at RB.

* Don't discount Mike Dudek as a possible team MVP. He's going to return punts, and could make a major impact.

* I still think Marquez Beason needs to play offense next year. There aren't enough play-makers, and the young DB's are fine.

* I'll predict double-digit sacks for Bobby Roundtree. Stud. And he's much better vs.the run after adding strength in the off-season. Next year's D-line? Legit, and the best since the Zook era.

* The nickel that they played throughout camp will be fine against spread teams USF, Purdue,and Nebraska. But will they be able to stop the run against Iowa and Wisconsin. They will probably have to go back to the 4-3 base defense for those teams.

* No clue how good the linebackers will be, honestly. Just have to wait and see. If they aren't making the bulk of their tackles 7-8 downfield, that's progress.

Your questions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News