ADVERTISEMENT

A Controversial Opinion

dtrain79

Gold Member
Jul 13, 2006
Alright, here goes.

I've expressed this opinion in a smaller dose elsewhere, but I will re-state it in a little longer format.

Many think Matt Robinson will be the starting QB this week. I don't really have an opinion, but it is certainly possible Peters is out again after the much-debated hit at the end of the Iowa game.

The first and less controversial opinion is that I think we stand a better chance to win with Robinson. He's a better scrambler and he's a much more accurate short route passer. When you play a lesser opponent, it's more about stringing together lots of winning plays than it is about the big play. Brandon Peters has generated a bunch of huge plays (and seems to excel on the difficult throw), but he's really bad at simply moving the ball down the field. Not sure I've seen a guy look much worse on the easy throws for awhile (this bothers me a lot, but Peters is one of the few guys who has somehow overcome this). I looked up Peters stats this morning, and I was just shocked to see he's under 50% completions in the B1G. That is … well … remarkable, especially for the record we have. Robinson was at 57% playing most Minnesota (pretty good D) and Michigan (really good D). Northwestern is decent on D, but they are easily the weakest of the three. I fully expect Robinson to move the ball. Obviously he needs to avoid TOs (though I'm not convinced Peters is awesome at that, he's done a nice job in not fumbling when pass protection has broken down).

The second and more controversial opinion is that I suspect 2020 Illinois would be better with a different QB than Peters. It's unlikely to happen. However, Peters has to get better on the easy throws, because it seems really hard to believe he can repeat the big plays from this year. This is becoming my biggest concern for next fall (inconsistent QB play). I suppose we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News