ADVERTISEMENT

#53 in Hanner/SI preseason projections

IlliniJoe81

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ketball-ranked-north-carolina-kentucky-kansas

8th in the Big Ten, just in front of Iowa. Normally I'm a Pomeroy guy but he doesn't do well with transfers and 4* freshmen, so he has us at #61. #49 and above make the NCAA Tournament, which is clearly the threshold for a successful season.

So, if we exceed expectations we are in the NCAA Tournament. If not, we are basically the same as last year with a high NIT seed.

I was vocal about my displeasure with Groce's coaching at the end of last season and would have been ok with him being fired. Time and offseason optimism have softened my stance a bit and I'm hoping he gets it done this year. I really do like our freshmen and he did finally recruit a point guard. I feel like Groce really likes this team. They are raw but there is tremendous upside here.

This is the year to exceed expectations and make the NCAA Tournament. It may start off slow but the real meat of the season is in the Big Ten anyway. There are lots of opportunities for good wins on this schedule. Time for Groce to get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News