ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 Roster Thread....

Brad S

Nov 22, 2002
Going through each player and looking at their options and possibilities.

Ayo Dosunmu - He is leaving. Ayo is going to the NBA.

Trent Frazier - Trent has gone back and forth. Four weeks ago he was gone, two weeks ago he was staying, and then after the season he was undecided. They had a meeting with him and he said he wants to be a 2,000 point scorer and All-Conference player. But he has also been away from his GF for months and may want to move on.

DaMonte Williams - Williams flourished in his role this season, coming off of the bench and providing toughness, defense and 3 point shooting. If he is willing to accept that role again, and perhaps and even smaller role, he will be back. If not, maybe he moves on. I think he stays if I have to pick today.

Kofi Cockburn - Kofi will declare and go through the pre-draft workouts in June. Illinois has to make sure to recruit some guys that can fill the void if he leaves, but that could also play with him. Right now he is on the outside looking in on draft day, so a source told me he is 60/40 to return.

Giorgi Bezhanishvili - I think after being away from his family for over a year and not seeing his mother for 2 years, Giorgi will graduate in May and is likely to move on. I can't blame him and hopefully he finds a nice professional opportunity overseas. I would say he is 80/20 leaving.

Andre Curbelo - Curbelo will get the keys next season and drive the car on the offensive end. Imagine if he shoots just 30% from 3?

Jacob Grandison - Grandison is a tremendous shooter that has a very good feel for the game. You saw him begin to showcase his skills more after entering the starting lineup. I don't know if he starts again, but he will play. Solid role player.

Austin Hutcherson - I'm not sure there is a bigger wildcard than this kid, outside of Kofi. He is a perimeter guy with star potential if he can remain healthy. Big if though. He could be a starting guard next to Curbelo and Miller.

Adam Miller - He didn't get enough credit for his defense this season, and I think an off season plus a Sophomore leap will make him a very solid Big Ten 2 guard.

Coleman Hawkins - He will be back and he will play more. I could even see him playing some 5 for stints next season. Yu need to pair him with a PF that is a strong rebounder though. But he is a prototypical stretch 4.

Jermaine Hamlin - Hamlin has never really found his niche at Illinois and probably needs to play at a lower level to get big minutes.

Benjamin Bosmans Verdonk - It was telling that he went in to play the 5 against Luke Garza in the BTT. He is only 6'7 but he has great strength and he is tough. Injuries have really sidetracked him. I think his return will depend on who they find in the transfer portal.

Brandon Lieb - Illinois likes Lieb and his potential as a skilled 7 footer. Basically, he was a redshirt this season. Needs to get much stronger and keep working on his footspeed and quickness. He is still a year away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News