ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Big Ten Preview: The Bottom Four

Greg Ohlson

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2002
So we all know that there are a few NBA decisions to still be made and there are a few grad transfers left but for the most part, the rosters for next season are getting close to finalized.....so I thought with all of the boredom of no sports going on in the world, I would throw this on the board for you to enjoy, debate, criticize, whatever you choose......either way, it should be another very exciting season in the Big Ten (14) next year.

Had we had a tourney this year, many people believed the Big Ten would have landed 10 or 11 bids.....next year, I see it as NINE bids with a few teams also possibly qualifying for the NIT.

For my preview, I break it down into sections based on a variety of factors....so here we go....

First the bottom of the Big Ten......these teams as currently assembled will not make the NCAA tournament and probably won't be very good:

14)Maryland

I know, I know.....this has to be a mistake but it's not.....the great Maryland team of last year is gone.....Jalen Smith and Anthony Cowan are gone and so far have not been replaced by ANYONE….Yes, they return solid wings: Aaron Wiggins, Darryl Morsell, and Eric Ayala but their front court is a joke…..they literally have three bigs currently on their roster (not a joke)…..Donta Smith who averaged 5.9 points last year at power forward and 7-2 center Chol Mariol who averaged 0.8 points per game at center with no back-ups on the roster……..they just added grad transfer Galin Smith from Alabama who averaged a whopping 3.1 points a game and 2.8 rebounds last year…..they also landed Jairus Hamilton as a power forward transfer from Boston College but with the NCAA likely keeping the sit-out rule for non-grad transfers, he will likely be sitting out.

They landed two solid but not spectacular incoming point guards in Aquan Smart (Illinois kid) and Marcus Dockery and have wings Hakim Hart and Serrell Smith Jr. returning off the bench…….and that’s it…..yes, they have two scholarships available but Mark Turgeon better work miracles with those or it’s going to be a very long season for the Terrapins.

The trio of solid returning wings might land them in the 11th or 12th spot in conference but to me, that’s their ceiling if they don’t add any relevant post players before the season….you can’t compete in the Big Ten with only three mediocre to bad post players on your roster.

13)Minnesota

Liam Robbins, Liam Robbins, Liam Robbins……two words you maybe haven’t heard before but he is a VERY good and underrated 7-foot-1 center that could change this ranking dramatically……he averaged 14 points a game as a sophomore last year at Drake and his uncle is on the Minny staff, and he changes games big-time with his shot-blocking ability so he would be a major factor next year if eligible but with the NCAA not likely to grant his eligibility, their team will have a completely different feel…..

They add two underrated freshman in Jamal Mashburn Jr. (will probably start at the two guard) and Chicago Bloom’s Martice Mitchell who might start at the five if Robbins isn’t eligible and they added grad transfer Brandon Johnson to start at the four and will probably round out their starting five with sharp-shooter Gabe Kascheur at the other wing opposite Mashburn Jr. and with Marcus Carr at the point. This is a decent starting five but it has no star power unless Marcus Carr takes his game to another level…..if they get Robbins next year, they will make a huge jump and would have a good shot at the NCAA tournament….he’s that important. With Robbins, this team could finish in the top 7-10 of the league.

Their bench

They will have four sophomores: center Sam Freeman, forward Isaiah Ihnen, and guards Tre Williams and Bryan Greenlee who combined to average less than eight points a game……some might make a solid jump in their contributions but not likely…..junior Jarvis Omersa is a solid, undersized power forward who should help some and 6th year Eric Curry is back after his 15th knee surgery to try and add some depth……..another words, this team has very little coming off its bench.

12.Northwestern

A lot of people will pick NU to finish last next year but I don’t see it….in fact, I think they could finish higher and barring any transfers, they will return their entire roster for the 2021-22 season so Chris Collins could have things on the upswing again in Evanston.

So why do I think this???.....Boo Buie was breaking out as a legitimate guard in the Big Ten before injury…..this kid is a big-time scorer who should have a great career over the next few years if he stays healthy. His backcourt mate should be Junior Chase Audige, who sat out last year after transferring from William and Mary. He’s a very solid wing who can create and shoot from distance.

Their frontcourt was very young last year but was playing its best basketball late. Junior Miller Kopp is one of the best shooters in the Big Ten and with Robbie Beran at the power forward spot and Ryan Young at center, this should be a very solid starting five for the next couple of years.

They essentially have a sixth starter in Junior Pete Nance who will rotate with Beran and Young up front. Center Jared Jones is transferring but incoming freshman and underrated 7-footer Matt Nicholson should provide solid depth.

Senior Anthony Gaines, junior Ryan Greer, and incoming freshman guard Ty Berry will provide the depth in the backcourt.

This team has talent to win but some teams mentally can’t get over the hump…..Illinois and Penn State made that jump last year after many years of losing close games…..Northwestern can’t be taken too seriously until they start winning close games and against top teams in the Big Ten. I believe they will take a partial step next year and make the NIT…….but of course, I could be wrong.

11.Penn State

This team is really a question mark because it does return some talent and it has a solid recruiting class coming in but I just don’t see this team returning anywhere near the level they played at last year considering they have no one up front even close to Lamar Stevens, who averaged 17 points and 7 rebounds and was just an absolute beast for 40 minutes…..they also lose Mike Watkins and his 10 points and 8 rebounds a game.

The key could be highly rated JUCO center, Valdir Manuel, who will need to make a big impact right away. Senior John Harrar and sophomore Seth Lundy will be the other main big guys for Penn State. Senior Trent Buttrick and sophomore Patrick Kelly add depth.

The backcourt will likely decide the fate of the Nittany Lions because they return a lot of bodies. The backcourt will be senior Jamari Wheeler, who needs to step up his game and Junior Myreon Jones, who is the leading returning scorer at 13 points a game. The other wing will be either senior Izaiah Brockington or junior Myles Dread as both made solid contributions last year.

The freshman class adds three (three-star) recruits who could contribute next season. They are combo guard Dallion Johnson and small forwards, Caleb Dorsey and D.J. Gordon.

One big note for the 2021-22 season, is that Penn State recently added sit-out point guard transfer Sam Sessoms, who as a sophomore at Binghamton last season averaged 19 points per game…..he is expected to have a huge impact after sitting out next season…..him and Myreon Jones, who will be a senior in 2021-22, should make for an outstanding backcourt.

Reactions: URH Snyder 490
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News