ADVERTISEMENT

2015 MLB Draft - Cubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nthomp

Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
A thread for our own. How nice.

We can use this thread on Monday and the draft days after.

Who would you guys like to to see the Cubs draft? I feel there's a few choices depending on who's available.
(I know there's higher rated guys. These are just the few that might be there at 9)

1) Tyler Jay - It would be awesome to see him as a Cub. I really think he can be a starter in the league. The question is, though, do the Cubs take him if he falls to 9? They usually like to take the most sure thing with their top pick, and it's usually a bat.
2) Tyler Stephenson - Big time high school catcher. He's getting Matt Wieters comparisons. If the Cubs hadn't drafted Schwarber last year, I would be betting on him as the pick. Still not counting him out as he has great power potential, and he will stick behind the dish.
3) Garrett Whitley - Solid hitter, great speed. There's no reason he shouldn't stick in center. Played in the northeast and was still able to become what he is with short seasons. He has a chance to be special (my non pitcher pick at 9)
4) Daz Cameron - Son of a solid MLB player. He'll likely never develope a dangerous bat, but he should be a plus defender in center the day he steps foot in the show.
5) Kyle Tucker - He'll likely be gone by 9. He has the potential to be a plus bat and defender. If he's there at 9, it would be hard for the Cubs to pass.
6) Andrew Benintendi - OF from Arkansas. He should be able to stick in center in the show. He doesn't have a long track record, but he definitely broke out this year. It helps that it was done in the best college baseball conference there is. I still don't know if I would trust a one year wonder at 9, though.
7) Phil Bickford - He's been a 1st round guy before, but they didn't reach an agreement. He has a superb fastball. His secondary pitches has flashed potential, but still need developing. Also, he has superb command for a player his age. In my opinion, he's very underrated in this class.
8) Mike Nikorak - The best high school pitching prospect in this class. Nikorak will be an MLB starter one day. He already throws a superb fastball, and his secondary pitches flash plus potential. Five or six years from now, we may be saying that Nikorak should have gone number one in this draft. If he's the Cubs pick, I won't be unhappy.

Who are you hoping for? I left guys off that will definitely be off the board by 9 (Rodgers, Swanson, Bregman, Tate) Also, just saw that BA's newest mock has Stephenson going first overall. This draft is crazy. That guy is catching helium at exactly the right time. He was projected as a 10-15 guy five days ago. I guess it also has to do with this being a down draft class. A lot of solid talent, but not really any definite supreme talent (that hasn't dealt with injuries) in this draft class. I said last week that it would probably be hard for the Cubs to pass on Stephenson if he is available. BA's latest mock strengthens that belief. Even though he's a catcher, if Tyler Stephenson makes it to nine, he's the Cubs pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: bph1975
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News