ADVERTISEMENT

What I've heard...

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
I had hoped to answer some of this stuff in the mailbag, but the questions aren't rolling in, so....

First, people inside the athletic department are certain Brad Underwood will be the coach next season. The rumors that were floating around were not made up, though. It's been common practice now in the offseason for Underwood's name to be floated around. Throwing stuff up on the wall to see what sticks. Underwood has a WDWS radio appearance on Monday at the Esquire bar here in Champaign.

There are two trains of thought among the big hitters that support the program and highly placed people at the university. One group believes Underwood brought the program back from the dark days and deserves their support. Another group thinks his antics this year were an embarrassment to the university. And it's not the first time during his tenure at Illinois that personal behavior became an issue with some people. Also, some boosters want more bang for their buck. At this point, I don't think either group is absolutely certain he's the long term answer, though. That chorus will get louder if there is a mass exodus of players. Not even a whisper from AD Josh Whitman yet, who I'm sure is aware of the circulating rumors.

Some college coaches are hearing rumors that Jayden Epps may be available, especially schools closer to his home state of Virginia. A common theme is that he's homesick and wants to come back east, maybe to the ACC.

It sounds like RJ Melendez is going through the same type of decision process that he had last offseason. 'Should I stay or should I go'. Some people around him are rumored to want him closer to home. They wanted to support him more when he was struggling mid-season, but distance made it tough. I love how hard Melendez played this year. Hope he comes back.

I have heard that some NIL boosters would pony up to keep Terrence Shannon Jr. for another year. No information that is particularly solid on that yet, though. A couple of NIL insiders that I know are making inquires. For his part, I think Shannon would like to go pro but there's a chance he wouldn't get drafted.

Coleman Hawkins is in decision mode. He had a rough time this year emotionally dealing with a locker room that wasn't connected. There were chemistry issues on the court that got under his skin as well. I'm not sure what he would think about Shannon coming back. Subtracting Mayer might help. My guess is that he declares for the Draft but retains his college eligibility. I have no feel yet if the Portal is in play. His candid comments in the post game after the loss to Arkansas were a clear indication that he's not concerned about ruffling feathers at this point.

No idea on Sencire Harris. He tweeted that he's coming back then deleted it. I'd assume he comes back. If he leaves, would he have to take a step down to a marginal high-major team or even to a mid-major? With Underwood looking hard for transfer guards, they can't really promise Harris a bigger role next year. He's not a point guard. He's not a shooter.

Dain Dainja would probably prefer to transfer, but that's a risky proposition with the NCAA promising to enforce the sit-out rule for two-time DI transfers. I'd call in him 50/50.

Luke Goode already said in a radio interview that he's coming back. Ty Rodgers hasn't said anything publicly, but I believe he will come back.

The staff knows that roster construction became a huge issue. They know you need guards. That's the priority right now, and they need multiple guys. There's at least one that they feel pretty good about so far.

Underwood made a mistake when he made promises to Skyy Clark and handed him the keys. The whole "I'm taking a break from basketball" thing was total BS.

You never know, but I'd be surprised if any assistant coaches left. They won't get paid any better than they are now.

If you can predict the starting lineup next season, you're a better man than me.

I believe this week will bring some news. Everyone is waiting for the first shoe to drop.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News