ADVERTISEMENT

The 10 best assistant coaches that I've covered

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
My first season was 2011, Ron Zook's last year.

The 10 best assistant coaches that I've covered, all things considered.

This is a quick down and dirty off the top of my head, so if I missed anyone feel free to call it out.

1. Jeff Brohm, QB's (Zook)
2. Ryan Walters, DC/safeties (Bielema)
3. Chip Long, TE/FB (Zook)
4. Alex Golesh, TE (Beckman, Cubit)
5. Keith Gilmore, DL (Zook)
6. Aaron Henry, CB (Bielema)
7. Vic Koennig, DC (Zook)
8. Kevin Kane, OLB (Bielema)
9. Bart Miller, OL (Bielema)
10. AJ Ricker, OL (Beckman)
tie. Andy Buh, LB (Bielema)

There ae a few others that I liked as coaches, but they didn't produce much on the recruiting trail.

I don't like ties, but I had to mention Buh. Good coach, is showing better recruiting chops than expected.

As you can tell, I really like Bielema's staff. McDonald is also good, he just needs more talent. Jamison needs more experience. Too early to tell with Lunney.

Koennig is only good when he has players that fit perfectly. When he doesn't, his defenses can really struggle. But you can't ignore his accomplishments here. His biggest blunder was going prevent against Penn State in 2011. Cost them the game, along with FG doink and bad officiating.

Guys who got a bad rap because of the black hole that was Beckman: Tim Banks, Chris Beatty. Really smart football coaches, but hands were tied here. Those two were accessible, and I learned a lot talking to them.

Bob Ligashesky is the best special teams coach here by far, but he didn't recruit.

OLB coach Al Seamonson (Beckman) was good and a really good dude.

Worst coach? It's Miles Smith. No contest. He's the only coach I've seen hired here who's contract should have been rejected by the Board of Trustees.

Kevin Kane will be a DC again soon.

Ryan Walters will be either a head coach or a DC at a top school or in the NFL. He's the best head coach candidate that I've been around among the assistants here. Most professional, smartest by far, and is great with the players. Total stud.

Brohm is an offensive wizard and good QB coach. He gets in his own way sometimes, though, and overthinks things.

Golesh knows the recruiting game as well as any coach I've been around. You could tell right away he was on the fast track.

Coach I most hated interviewing...Luke Butkus. He knows offensive line play and could get guys to bust their ass for him, but the way he talks to people is ridiculous. At fall camp, he used to jump on his bicycle and take off right after practice to avoid reporters.

It's a draw between Butkus and Paul Petrino for most F-bombs while coaching. Petrino used to chase the receivers down the field screaming at them. Guy has a screw loose.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News