ADVERTISEMENT

Some Big Ten thoughts

bucshon

Publisher
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Thoughts ahead of Big Ten Media Days

* I like Ohio State to beat Michigan and win the Big Ten. The Buckeyes depth of talent at the skill positions is unreal. QB Kyle McCord is the key.

* Wisconsin looks like the winner in the Big Ten West on paper, but it's hard to know how quickly they adjust to the new spread offense under Luke Fickell.

* Purdue maybe okay long term under Ryan Walters - he's recruiting well - but there will be first-year hiccups and growing pains. Still, the media is underrating them a little in the preseason poll. I think they are better than Nebraska.

* Cooper DeJean and Jer'Zhan Newtwon were 1-2 in voting for preseason Big Ten DPOY. I don't think either one wins it. Ohio State LB Tommy Eichenberg is my pick.

* Maryland is the most overrated team in the conference. (picked 4th in B1G West). They have a good QB in Tagovailoa, but the offensive line is very suspect.

* I expect Iowa's offense to finally get off the ground some. If they play defense the way they did last year, they could win the West.

* Tom Allen (Indiana) and Greg Schiano (Rutgers) enter the season on the hot seat. Allen's seat is on fire. .

* Anyone want to change places with NU interim coach David Braun? Impossible situation. He'll go through a gauntlet at media days.

* Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh deserves more than a four-game suspension for lying to investigators.

* The conference has two Heisman candidates in RB Blake Corum (Michigan) and WR Marvin Harrison Jr. (Ohio State).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News